Pierre Boulez: The Complete Columbia Album Collection [resolved]

Anthèmes 2 (which is the correct title).

What do you see? I see this. (I know I have one other live recording of it, but that has bad metadata.)

Btw the top two are the same performance, as you perhaps know. I have a feature request in for merging performances that feature on different compilations in this way.

And finally, some Bartók in the big Boulez box.

and here are the tags which did that. It is “the old way”, using the canonical titles, taken from Allmusic.com.

I have 3 genuinely different performances of Anthemes 2 (the majority named “Anthemes II”):

Thank you for the Allmusic.com and opus tips, that’s awesome, I’ll try them out! How did you find out all this stuff? I can’t find it documented anywhere.

1 Like

I thought you said you had a problem with Anthèmes 2? Do you perhaps mean that the track listings in the album details pages are inconsistent as to title? I see that too. I can explain, and let you know how to fix it if that’s what you mean.

(The title is Anthèmes 2 with Arabic numeral on the IRCAM website: http://brahms.ircam.fr/works/work/6956/ and also on the front of the score: https://www.universaledition.com/sheet-music-and-more/Anthemes-2-fuer-Violine-und-Live-Elektronik-Boulez-Pierre-UE31160. Rovi is just wrong in their title (but correct in their descriptive text).)

Years of getting my hands dirty. :slight_smile:

Sony in fact provides the complete track listing for the box:

Would be good to have it in the database (@joel)

Wow, thanks, didn’t know they had such a detailed listing. Although it would have been even better if they had uploaded it to a metadata provider… I’ll use it to complete/correct my hacked up metadata.

Just watch out that if you don’t use exactly the Allmusic work name format, and want the box to match other performances of the same works, you are dependent on either (a) the opus number match making the connection or (b) manual work merging for each work.

It’s a pain, but it’s worth it in the end.

Thanks, I’ll compare the Sony data with Allmusic as I do this.

Super-thanks to @Ludwig and @Rainer_Muller. After much careful curation, I’ve got the first 30 disc of this box set nicely organized, with most compositions well identified. There are a few outliers that I’m not sure about, in particular when the Sony metadata has a catalog number but Allmusic does not, or when a track is a part of a larger work, Sony gives it as a part of the work with the work’s catalog number, but Allmusic also lists the part as a work in itself, but no catalog number (for example, Ravel’s “Alborada del Gracioso.” Anyway, you guys were way more helpful than I had any right to expect, and I’m in good shape to continue ripping the rest of the box set and several others waiting.

Thank you @Ludwig and @Fernando_Pereira for this exchange. I picked up this set after reading about it here. I’m enjoying it very much so far, and there’s quite a lot of music to look forward to.

Would you please let me know what tag editing software you’re using?

I use Metadatics (Mac).

It’s a great set.

1 Like

I use Metadatics too.

Thanks!

In Metadatics, how do you edit “Work” and “Part”? I see “wrk” under “All Tags,” but I can’t make it a column for quick editing.

Is there a way to map “wrk” to “Track Title”?

Here’s (part of) my workflow:

1. select all the tracks belonging to a composition
  2. find the canonical name for the composition from AllMusic.com
  3. use the + button at the bottom of the “All Tags” panel to add a WORK tag for all the selected tracks, with tag value set to the composition’s canonical name
  4. then, for each track of the work in turn, use the + button to add a PART tag with an appropriate value. In some cases, AllMusic.com has names for the parts, in most cases I use whatever is most appropriate from track title or other information.

I don’t know if this is ideal, but it seems to have worked pretty well for this monster import of the Boulez collection (thanks again, @Ludwig !)

1 Like