Please help - Thinking of leaving Roon

Ubiquiti is an enterprise system and does lots of clever things I know nothing about, like balancing between 2.4 and 5ghz. One AP was required due to an inconveniently located steel beam.

I regularly group 4 Roon zones with a total of wireless 19 speakers operating at up to 24/192 with no wifi problems at all.

Ubiquiti does not offer any practical limitations for a domestic set-up, it is designed for commercial systems with hundreds or thousands of connections.

1 Like

You might find that with a handle like @ipeverywhere that he does know “lots of clever things I know nothing about” :slightly_smiling_face:
In fact I know he does.

2 Likes

Sounds like you got it figured out.

I’ve got 3 APs strategically placed no mesh. I can operate with no losses on 2 so the 3rd is there for redundancy. The radios are tuned to basically make the network unusable past my driveway (and other edges of my property). But I fear we’ve gotten off topic. But, I’ll leave with this… A single AP with the radio cranked to oblivion is a bad design and is the predominant residential install (without something like Eero or Google mesh). But, on the other side of the spectrum, and consider just as bad, is littering the entire air space with too many radios / those little junk repeater pucks like Comcast was using for a while.

Ok well roon may be better - but its still awful for me

So don’t use it or stop moaning, either one.

4 Likes

Answer is don’t use it then. It really befuddles me that people pay for a product that doesnt meet their needs. You pay for Roon for what it is and not what you want it to be. Use Qobuz or Tidal if you want to have the same things available from them.

You say they don’t listen yet 2.0 is all about that it was the most requested feature and hey we got it warts and all.

8 Likes

Could not agree more!

Absolutely. Left UPnP for RAAT a long time ago.

1 Like

I have IP’s everywhere. As you probably know, Unifi allows novices like me to easily manage my network, so I can easily name all my devices and connect them to the appropriate access point.

If there is ever a problem, it is very easy to see why, with no technical skill required.

I can see what each access point is doing, one is currently out of action, will get it back running today.

I can see what devices have a weak signal. Some of these are due to the AP that is currently down, but there is a weak spot at the back of the house, waiting for me to put another AP in the loft.

Why I and lots of people use Ubiquiti, and it was recommended to me by a regular at Roon Labs Community, is because I can manage my devices without having to do anything technical, and in the background the system is managed by a 3rd party supplier.

I’m told I could manage it myself using an app on my QNAP. This requires a bit of technical skill. It has some advantages, like being able to fix IP’s, but I can do that on my router. Managing it myself would give me the opportunity to mess everything up.

1 Like

And "stuck record"BOX SETS

For your steel beam i have a parrot cage. I should rename Lucy to Faraday

For what it’s worth. At one location I use wireless for every part of my home LAN.

1. Network to the home is fibre.
  2. But for domestic reasons a wired LAN is simply not an option at this location.
  3. Core is a windows 11 laptop connected via wifi. It has a largish local library mixed with on-line Qobuz streaming. The same laptop is used concurrently all day for email, web and office apps.
  4. The primary remote is the same core laptop (which is the reason I would really like a mini desktop roon player).
  5. Even the speakers are connected wirelessly via WiSA.
  6. I use both room correction convolution and DSP up to 96khz (the WiSA limitation).
  7. Network is a simple consumer grade google nest mesh. I am no network expert and just accepted all defaults during configuration.
  8. The only wired component is Western Digital storage connected via a cheap Netgear switch to the google nest router. I use this for backup, rarely playback.

I just have no problems or drop outs, in this scenario. The only time I have been aware of issues is if audio analysis is doing a long run (I have imported a big box-set for example) and I have a deadline and I am trying to use the lap-top to edit a large graphics intensive document. So I just know not to do that and switch off audio analysis until later.

I must admit I am puzzled by reports of problems with roon and wifi. Maye if you have a lot of 192khz or DSD content but personally I find roon perfectly usable.

Wired is the only solution for something that you enjoy (or want to enjoy). I install networking (mostly Ubiquity) and audio systems in houses where a single AP will not suffice and in many areas will not work. Most of my customers have excessively large homes, WiFi blocking construction materials (stone, lathe and plaster walls, etc) and some with multiple out buildings that need coverage. When performing new installs and remodels anything that is stationary and has an ethernet jack gets a dedicated port. Completely eliminates a potential problem from equation and leaves all of the WiFi bandwidth to mobile devices.

I’d recommend running a cable to eliminate any possible WiFi issues. Easiest way is the purchase a long cable and temporarily run it through your home from your Core to the telecom provided router/AP . If this solves the problem then the router/AP is the issue and you can purchase a better AP and connect it to your router. If you still have issues then it is your Core or the router. Purchasing a new router and putting your telecom provided router/AP in bridge mode could fix the latter problem.

Running the cable will be a tremendous troubleshooting help.

1 Like

I’ve got a long single-story house with a full basement. So I stuck the ASUS mesh WiFi routers under the floorboards, connected via an Ethernet backhaul so that the mesh operation wouldn’t interfere with the user radios. WiFi is great!

Ran Ethernet directly to my office and media center via existing cable TV coax and MoCA adapters (the way Ethernet worked in the first place!). No new wires to pull through walls.

2 Likes

Same here. Spent more than 1000 euro on external equipment to solve the intermittent dropping out of Roon (no network dropouts on other applications). Spent hundreds of hours on this community, trying millions of settings, following thousands of well meant advises. But it is enough. I will quit Roon on my new subscription year. Unless Roon support will fix this. Unbelievable that I use Roon now for 5(?) years and it never worked as it should.

I’m not affiliated with Roon, just a customer.

Apologies but I’ve not come across any of your other posts. Can you explain the issues you’ve had. Briefly but with enough details. Also explain your network.

I’ve not experienced any major issues in my time using Roon and what you wrote doesn’t ring true (I believe you have had issues) with my experience and many others.

Sometimes the issue can be a minor error and easy fix.

1 Like

Thanks Lewis, most of my posts I removed because I thought I found the solution. Problem with Roon in combination with a million different setups in periferal hardware and an accompanying million settings in this hardware, is that is is too complex to find out what’s wrong.
I literally followed every advise, tried every setting and spent hours in doing so. And still Roon is for me only a yearly paid frustration.
The irregular dropouts (music stops playing and skips to the next song or stop all together) are driving me crazy. Especially when people like you seem to enjoy Roon like a breeze… Glad for you by the way :wink:

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve had a few issues of my own and have reached out to Team Roon. They have responded promptly in my case and gave a workaround solution for my latest one.

Track skipping, yes I have had that. A little niggle I have gotten use to now, but haven’t experienced it for about a month now.

Drop outs and loss of control over endpoints. Music stopping completely. Yep, had them as well. A scratched CD can do this too.

I have improved my network to the point it is very stable. I have upgraded my machine running ROCK, not a device on the supported list but has equal specs to the better ones recommended.

I have a Ubiquiti UDR with several APs and a 16 port switch which can handle 20+gbps. Overkill but it has helped with my issues (similar to yours).

All equipment is wired to the switch, with just phones and tablets on WiFi.

I’ve had nearly a month without issues.

Sounds like you found some stability. My setup now lasted for two days without stops. Until yesterday. I have Rock as well on a NUC8i5BEH (supported). 64Gb Ram (haha, was in it when I bought it), music stored on a Samsung T7 ssd connected to the NUC (USB). Fritzbox 7581 router (router mode without signal) wired to an Asus ZenWifi pro xt12 (router mode) and a satellite connected by 5Hhz WiFi with excellent signal strength between the two. My most used endpoint is a Lyngdorf Tdai-3400 wired to the satellite. What I don’t have is a switch. Is that necessary? And thanks for your replies! Support has never reacted to the dropouts. Think they have no clue since it is not Roon causing the problem. And as I said, the combination of too many settings makes it nearly impossible to find the issue… Yesterday I also switched off Upnp on the Asus. Read somewhere that could also cause instability. We’ll see.

My two cents: if you have to re-network your house, Roon is broken.

I wouldn’t say broken. I needed to adapt my network for a product I chose to use.

Like, getting a bigger fridge to replace an old, smaller one but you need to adapt your kitchen to fit it.

Like having twins (like me) and realising you need a bigger car.

Before wiring my home network I only had wifi. So needed to upgrade and as I’m having an extension I decided a few years ago to make a start.

Back to the Roon side of this. A wired network is the best recommended solution. Wireless has many things that can affect it. I have though successfully ran my setup on wifi before with no issues. This includes the core.