Please test this Tidal MQA track

I ripped it from my SACD with a PS3 3 or 4 years ago.

Wondering if this one would be good:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/94112/The_Oscar_Peterson_Trio-We_Get_Requests-DSD_Single_Rate_28MHz64fs_Download

Unfortunately, here in France, we can’t order for Acoustic Sound audio files but I know that AS have a very good reputation and there is a chance that this version is better than mine which is yet very good.

Ok, thanks for the response! I might take a chance and get it; if so I’ll report listening impressions back here.

The reviewer appears to ding the album for having “several … songs [of] the type that in the mid-'60s would get requested”. Um, did he look at the album title?!

1 Like

If you get the DSD from acoustic sounds, please report.

Yup. I definitely hear the wow on the Tidal MQA track, and not at all on the Tidal 44.1 track. (Not surprisingly, same amount of wow when doing the core decode in Roon and when doing it in my Pro-Ject S2 Digital.)

It’s most obvious to me in the piano decay at 0:24.

LOL, right. How ironic!

Well, I got the DSD version from Acoustic Sounds and no wobble plus it sounds fantastic. Great mastering job by Marino.

I like the sound of the MQA version too…but the DSD is super clean.

EDIT: disappointed the studio did not go to this master for the MQA release.

EDIT2: I think the Tidal “CD” version may be off the same master as the DSD. The DSD has a bit more air and I can hear various instruments more clearly though… Certainly feels more lively than the TIDAL “CD” version stream.

It may yet come.

It’s definitely the master tape deterioration…I quite like it though!

Same here!

Yes I hear it on the MQA version. I’m definitely not a golden ears listener, this however is obvious. As the track progresses though things seem to settle down.

For what it’s worth at this late point, the distortion is very clear on my system - and has been noted by others, not so on either my CD version or the Tidal 16/44.1 version. Sounds like stretched tape to me.

Same here. Sounds ok on 16/44.1, but the MQA version makes the piano sound like it is being played on an old cassette tape that has started to stretch in the sun. This should have been picked up before being published. Pity, as the music sounds interesting.

I’m not sure if this should be in a new thread but thought I’d share that I found another track in a different album that seems to have suffered in the MQA encoding process.

This time the effect seems more like electromagnetic interference or some other type of electronic noise in the equipment being used at the time of the encoding process. I hear it starting at 1:05 and really kicks in at 1:12. It’s too bad because the overall sound quality is better than the CD version on Tidal.

This is exactly the problem I find with ALL MQA processed audio. Weird pitch on everything. It is subtle on some files but once you know what to listen for I hear it on EVERY MQA file. Perhaps only musicians will know that this isn’t how real instruments sound. Of course audiophiles might prefer the distortion.

No this is a problem with the track
If you get the low res version it is fine

I see - so this track is even worse than other MQA tracks?

Also it seems impossible that this could happen if MQA is indeed “authenticated”, as MQA claims. So how is it possible that an authenticated track has so many problems? Either it is authenticated or it isn’t. Are there two kinds of MQA? Ones that are authenticated and others that aren’t? Or do they just authenticate everything and the “authentication” claim is just a lie?

I agree. Not only a tape playback issue with overall speed (making the entire piano sound out of tune) but also some weird fluctuations in pitch (damaged tape ?). Nevertheless this was still “authenticated” by MQA - says a lot about their quality control or lack of.