[Poll] Is it me the only one that hate remastered albums?

My gut reaction was HATE THEM! but as others have pointed out, there are quite a few remasters that actually do make improvements on sound quality. Audio Fidelity and Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs absolutely fit the bill here. Steven Wilson has remastered several albums to utter perfection (Yes, Chicago…). I must admit I am not familiar with the Steve Hoffman forum but I’m going to go check it out right now, thanks!

I would add Acoustic Sounds to this list. Some of their remasters are just wonderful

I would suggest to listen to each remastered album before purchase thank’s to TIDAL or ROON. I had very bad and very good experiences… The shared article is clear about the reasons why. Therefore, difficult to answer to the poll.

Exactly this. For me to vote, your poll should have at least one more option, because I do care. As the great Neilster says: “Because Sound Matters”. :wink:

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I bought way too many victims of the loudness war, often even paying them by selling my older and much better masters. You live, you learn… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My opinon you need a good amp
I have a hegel h390 and mastered albums come to life in my opinion

If a re master loses dynamic range due to over compression, you need a cheap audio system.

1 Like

Mmmm if it sounds good who cares
Its all about the music for me

Agreed, if it sounds good, that’s all that matters. So many just sound flat and lifeless and don’t get played as they bring no pleasure, especially when you can listen to beautifully presented recordings.

1 Like

A great amp can’t save a bad mastering. The mastering is the most important and first step to in the quest for great sound. If the mastering is crap, the system it is played on doesn’t matter much.

Well, compare a great mastering to a mediocre mastering you think sounds good and you will care…

Ok but if you have a cheap amp why would you wont to pay £15-£20 a month for master quality sound and visa versa

You wouldn’t, that’s why with the streaming companies volume levelling policies, the presumed advantages of over compression no longer apply.
The way to make music stand out now is Dynamic Range and quality. Now if they remaster many releases again in the light of this new paradigm, we will all be the winners.

Wow. What does someone’s choice in streaming services have to do with this thread?? You wanted to make it about amps when it really has nothing to do with amps. Now you want to make it about sample rates?

1 Like

Never mind :+1:

I hate bonus tracks, you get the end of a record you know and love and it doesn’t stop where you expect. Same with deluxe versions just seems like padding

3 Likes

That is what the “Favorites” icon is for. Click on it until it is the circle with a diagonal line. That track won’t play anymore unless you specifically play it or add it to the queue. I like some bonus tracks especially if they are different songs. But, if they are just different mixes or demos or alternate takes that don’t offer anything better than the original, I block them.

3 Likes

Never thought of that

Ta

Its hard to apply across the board, but in general I find if the LP is pressed by QRP (Quality Record Pressings) it will in turn be well mastered. Almost, but not quite as important, it will be quiet, very quiet.

Perhaps there is some relation between the person doing the mastering and having some say in were it is pressed…I’ve never bothered to look into it that much. But I do find QRP pressing are typically great sounding LPs.

Agree that simply the fact that an album has been remastered (digital or analog) is very little indication that it will sound great or better than something already out there. Steve H forums are a great place to find the best version of your favorite albums. It is quite the rabbit hole once you are on the hunt for a given title/version/pressing/plant/dead wax/etc. I bet I have at least 15 different version of Bostons first LP. Originals, Wallys, 2nd pressings, reissues, MOFI, Simply Vinyl, Friday Music, Picture Disc…The list goes on. Same for things like Brubecks Take Five, Beach Boys Pet Sounds, numerous Blue Note artists.

Do yourself a favor and just stick with the one version you already have…but I know you won’t if you are reading/posting in the Roon forums. :grinning:

The only thing I don’t really like about remastered albums is when extra songs are included. It’s really just for sentimental reasons. Like when I purchased ELP’s first album when I was 15 back in 1986. I loved it and played it like crazy. And now I searched for it on Deezer app and see they added more titles to the cd.
I remember the original, and am used to that version the best, and all the memories that came from it…
Otherwise, if just better sound quality, fine with me.

In my experience, there are no givens with remasters.

Mastering engineers, audiophile labels,etc. that have good reputations for putting out quality products is certainly a good place to start, but it isn’t a given that it will sound better to the individual listener. I have a few titles where I prefer the standard, non-audiophile pressing or that the improvements are slight and perhaps not worth the cost. Unfortunately, these remasters are not on streaming sites so it is necessary to either trust listener reviews (like on SHF) or buy blind—both approaches have their drawbacks.

Also, some folks are more sensitive to compression than others. Over-relying on DR numbers, waveforms, listener reviews that overuse the terms “brickwalled” and “LOUD” and “squashed within an inch of its life” as well as having assumptions that most modern remasters can not be improved because it won’t sound as good as the first and/or rare exotic pressing that might be a “forum favorite” can really detract from some quality remasters.

The Loudness Wars aren’t over, but things sure seem to have improved in terms of how remasters are treated now vs the huge remaster wave of the late nineties and early aughts.

YMMV