Poll of Kef LS50 Wireless owners

I bought my pair of LS50W in 2020 and, for some reason they are still working.

I have them for sale because I am wanting to get version 2 but I’m starting to have reservations about it.

1 Like

I came very close to buying some LS50W2 for my man cave but I kept coming across post’s like yours. And also from people who had the original models that had broken.
Glad that I went for a fully separate system in the end for future flexibility.

2 Likes

I have two pairs of LS50W2 which we use exclusively with Roon. One pair in our main bedroom, which are wired together, one pair in our living room which connect wirelessly.

There is a firmware bug that causes them to power on for no discernible reason. They are set to sleep after a period of non-use, and they do that as configured. The issue is that when they power on, they make a distinct clicking sound which is loud enough to wake us up.

I reported this bug directly to KEF and here, on this forum (https://community.roonlabs.com/t/ls-50w-iis-not-staying-asleep/231134)

The KEF rep here engaged (including in direct messages which aren’t visible in that thread) and ultimately recommended disabling the touch panel to see if that fixed it. It did. I was hoping they’d address it in a subsequent firmware release, but the issue is still there with the most recent firmware.

I like the speakers. I’m happy with the audio quality for the specific uses we have, which is casual listening in the two areas I mentioned.

If I were to do it again, I might still go this route because of the simplicity of not having to deal with streaming, DAC, amp including finding somewhere to put it the gear. I also like KEFs options for adjusting sound based on placement.

I’m not sure this answer helps :slight_smile:

Hi @Punky_pj
I have the same problem that you describe but it happened to me only once so far. I bought them used on ebay and dont have warranty. I fear it might get worse and it does not seem to be possible to replicate the issue. Were you able to fix it with KEF or did it get worse later? Thanks

How many of you have upgraded from LS50W v1 to LS50W v2?

Upgraded from LS50W V1 + REL T5 Sub to LS60W (No need for a sub)

I had the issue with my LX50 II’s where they would turn off periodically. After googling the issue I tried two things. First I unplugged both speakers and let them sit for 15+ minutes. Second, I disabled the physical control panel on the primary. The problem has not returned. Some have mentioned “phantom” button presses with the panel enabled. I was not using the panel anyway.

I bought my LS50 IIs on Audiogon - so I took a bit of a gamble. They’re perfect for my home office, i have them on the KEF stands facing my desk and enjoy the sound both a very low volumes and when turned up. I pretty much listen to Tidal via Roon all day. I’ve grown to love them. At first, I had some problems, but once KEF updated the firmware about a month ago, all the problems went away.

This is the problem I had with mine. KEF has a firmware update, I would upgrade ASAP, as it fixed my problem.

Never had an issue with LS50 W II’s Purchased not long after launch. Flawless performance so far. Also have LS 60 since launch. No issues. Wonderful reliability.

Whelp, my LS50W’s just died.

Working fine yesterday. This morning when attempted to turn them on, the left speaker plays the jingle as expected, the right speaker crackles, I hear a click from the left speaker and then the power light blinks white.

Bought just over 5 years ago on ebay so I’m SoL on a warranty I assume. Not ideal for a £1500 purchase to say the least.

I had an interesting journey with the Wireless II. I ordered a pair over ebay from a very reputable dealer. They worked fine for a few days. Then they completely stopped working. The wireless logo was all white, indicating a solid connection, but I couldn’t play any music. I returned the speakers. I then ordered a new pair from Crutchfield. And I had the same problem!! I ordered a replacement from Crutchfield, which by the way is great to work with, and I have been happily enjoying this third pair for several months. We never figured out what was wrong with the first set, but I believe it was something to do with the relay that switches inputs getting stuck. At least that’s my best guess.

Following up on my previous post, KEF customer service has been incredible and has repaired the speakers free of charge for me.

5 Likes