Poor DSD512 upsampling performance on NUC10I7

I ordered exactly the same module as I have now. Crucial 2666mhz. Should be fine.

1 Like

I’ve been following this with some curiosity, because I’d not have expected good-quality PCM->DSD512 conversion on a NUC. For comparison, I have a capable i9-11900 server on one location, and a Mac Mini M1 on another, both doing PCM->DSD256 with HQPlayer. M1 stays at 60-70% load, i9-11900 at similar load (with BIOS fan control tweaking to prevent thermal throttling on some source material). I know HQPlayer uses different filters and modulators, but the overall compute load to get high-quality conversion can’t be hugely different.

1 Like

Just tested nuc usb directly to the dac.
Plays without dropouts.
Would think the problem is my opticalrendu streamer. But dsd512 files play through it without problems.

2 Likes

Just realized you are using an OpticalRendu, i assume that you are using it with its SFP ethernet connection. But what does the other end look like?

Yes. Sonore opticalmodule.

Have you checked this thread? Single mode vs multimode fiber matters. HQPlayer Embedded thread - #1195 by Ultrarunner

I am actually using single mode sfp. But just tested with multimode. The same bahavior as before.
I want to accentuate, the playback of dsd512 files without upsampling works fine. So I doubt my sreamer\signal path from nuc to dac is the problem.

@Fernando_Pereira earlier in this thread I have shared stats on DSD512 with 7 CLANS upsampling by ROON - 1/8th of my NUC 8i7 CPU only. Not the same as 7ECv2@256 …

Difference in network packet timing.

DSD512 is difficult even for some more powerful systems than yours.
But why do you want it?
There’s lots of evidence around that almost all DAC chips perform more optimally at DSD256 or DSD128.
Just do DSD256 and be happy.
I doubt you can actually hear any difference.

2 Likes

I am not sure wether my dac do always upsample dsd to 512. Don’t finde any info about. So in case that it do I want to prevent it by feeding dsd512. My dac is SMSL VMV D2. It has akm4499 chip. Do you know about this?

Do you know what is the DAC chip? Normally it can be checked in chip specs… well with a pinch of salt, as overall implementation including the chip matters.

Yes, on the OpticalRendu side, yes, but what is the other end of the fiber plugged into? Not the Nucleus i assume.

Didn’t ask me, but …
AK4499EQ

1 Like

Opticalmodule and then nuc

1 Like

today I built in further 8 GB of RAM. This did not help.
Since I now understand that processor speed is not the issue I goes back to my old nuc8i3. The behavior concerning dsd512 upsampling is the same.
So 8i3 works also with dsd512 upsampling if roon is in the “good” state. In the “bad” state I get dropouts. But in the last time I imperically figured out how to switch to a good state. So if I get dropouts after switch on the nuc, I play a dsd512 file for some seconds. Without upsampling. And then play my usual files with upsampling. In most cases this switch roon in the “good” state, so I dont get dropouts until the next start of roon or a change in dsp settings.

Also I testet a bit the SQ aof 512 vs 256 DSD. Although it seems that 512 has better highest frequncies the low frequencies of 256 I do like better. So I will use dsd256 upsampling fot the next time. I have not do tricks to let dsd512 upsampling work properly.

I learned a lot from you guys in this thread. Thank you very much for your support!

3 Likes

Glad you’ve found a solution which fits. :slight_smile:
Just a last question, based on your “fix”; Is it possible that there is some form of QoS happening somewhere on your active network parts?

I dont kow waht do you mean with the QoS in the network path.
My network path is: Nuc->fritzbox router->opticalmodule->opticalrendu

1 Like

QoS means Quality of Service, and it’s an automatic (mostly) form of traffic shaper and prioritizer. It can as an example give priority to Voice over IP protocols to precent stuttering. I figured that sending high rate DSD through possibly could ”shape” your router/switches into allowing higher bandwidth for those protocols.
Just a thought and nowhere near well researched!

1 Like

Because dsd512 files (and also upsampled files in “good” roon state) play ohne problem through my network, I dont really believe in an issue with my network.