Networking Gear & Setup Details

Vodafone Germany Modem & Router
McAffee LiveSafe

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

About 80000 tracks

Description of Issue

{
“ipv6_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“ipv4_connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:504,“error”:“error: Error: ETIMEDOUT, response code: undefined, body: undefined connected? undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“37.fff.ggg.hhh”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a02:aaa:aaa:bbb:ccc:ddd:ccc:eee”,“router_external_ip”:“0.0.0.0”},
“status”: “status”: MultipleNatFound
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.0.1”,“found_upnp”:true}
}

This is the problem.

There is more than one network address translation (NAT) layer active, preventing port forwarding from working although the port forwarding on the router is configured by UPnP.

As you use Vodafone Germany, they are using DS Lite for most accounts by default, which does not provide a regular public IPv4 address that can be port forwarded.

I’m copying Roon support’s standard response for the MultipleNatFound issue that most likely applies to you:

If you only have one router in your setup or your modem is already in Bridge mode, please take a look through our list of known router and internet service provider solutions, as other users may have already encountered the same situation: ISPs and Routers: List of Known Solutions and Workarounds

[Comment @suedkiez: You will find info about Vodafone Germany at the above link. This is the direct one:

In most cases it is most simply to call them and ask that they provide an external IPv4 address to your account, that can be port forwarded. This is the same thing as any online gamer with a PlayStation or similar would need. Usually the support staff will know what you are talking about. In some cases they might refuse, maybe depending on your location. In this case it should be possible to switch your regular home account to a business account, which does usually cost significantly more and includes an IPv4 address option]

You can reach out directly to your service provider to ask if they support port forwarding; this question will often enough to prompt them to explain whether or not the carrier-grade NAT they’ve implemented can function with ARC.

More specifically, you can pass along the following questions:

• Have you implemented carrier-grade NAT for my account level? [Comment @Suedkiez: in the case of Vodafone it’s not CG-NAT but probably DS Lite which amounts to the same thing]
  • Have you fully implemented IPv6, or do you have IPv4 addresses available?
  • Can I request a static IPv4 address to support port forwarding? [If the support people are clueless: Every online gamer needs the same thing, e.g. for a PlayStation]
  • Are there any ports you have reserved at the ISP level I should be aware of?
1 Like

Hi @Karsten_Thiem,

If you have any interest in joining our beta testing program, we’re currently testing IPv6 compatibility over here: Testing IPv6 support in Roon (for users locked out of ARC due to ISP reliance on IPv6 or CGNAT).

You can join the Early Access group by downloading the Early Access versions of Roon here: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/roon-early-access-program

Please let me know if you’re interested, as we’ve been making progress for automatic configuration on networks with dual-stack lite in place.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.