Power Pop - Who's your Fav?

We weren’t sitting that close. Saw them in 1981 in a 2500 seat theater. A couple of years ago my family and I were walking by our smallish city’s local annual restaurant/food festival and I heard a band playing that sounded exactly like Robin Zander and Cheap Trick - because it was Robin Zander and Cheap Trick! How the mighty have fallen!

Ha! Gotta pay the bills. We’re they tossing Kiss LPs into the crowd during Surrender on such a tight budget?

1 Like

Dwight Twilley/Phil Seymour/Dwight Twilley Band
Shoes
Hoodoo Gurus
Bill Lloyd
(Plus a bunch of those previously mentioned)

2 Likes

Hoodoo Gurus, nice!

2 Likes

Intriguing hype line but sadly not available to stream here. Looked up the price of a CD purchase, suffice to say it comfortably reached and breached my curiosity spending limits.

1 Like

Funny I saw the word gin in the title and said I gotta have it. Went to SwapACD.com to see if available and sadly not even via the Amazon buy button. Seems they don’t know of the band. I didn’t go so far as checking music sites or eBay. How much is it…just curious. I would have owned it if available on SwapACD.

1 Like

So I realised I wasn’t $174 for a Japanese import curious :wink:

Edit For a point of reference, I consider myself quite curious…

Does this prove problematic/expensive in gin shops?

1 Like

Maybe…I’m not telling.

1 Like

I better buy the one on ebay for 149, what a deal. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Wow…didn’t realise it went for big money. Here is a taster if you’re interested.

1 Like

I must have missed this thread when I was on a few month hiatus.

I find it interesting reading back up what some deem ‘power pop’. Of course, there is no right or wrong answer…we can all classify as we like.

Of particular note to me are the Hoodoo Gurus. From the very early days, when they only had released some singles and the lineup included James Baker (drums), I used to see them live often. (Actually, I can go back before that also). They were dynamic.

I comment, as I never considered them power pop, although totally get why they are mentioned here.

They used to straddle the line of what I would term neo psychedelia, although looking back & thinking about their music, perhaps that was more to do with appearance (lots of paisley) than their music.

Hoodoo Gurus…Power pop - I like it. :sunglasses:

My fav of the genre would have to be Big Star or at least the first that come to mind. I saw @killdozer also made mention of them. And then The Flamin’ Groovies. :slightly_smiling_face:

And a shout out to Alex Chilton (Big Star) who I saw live at The Mean Fiddler (London) circa '83 & is still a highlight gig for mean today.

3 Likes

Great title for a song as well, this has done nothing to dull my curiosity, sounds perfect summer outdoors music (for me power pops main utility). I’ll be keeping an eye out for an affordable version…

+1 For Hoodoo Gurus. I have tickets to see them this fall in Virginia (fingers crossed). I have seen them every time they have toured the US since late 80s. They are an excellent live show.

I will also add Smithereens, Jellyfish, and Flamin Groovies.

2 Likes

I’m the anxious possessor of several sets of rearranged gig tickets. I suspect that the amount of cash tied up and number of fingers crossed across all forum members is probably substantial.

Music Map is pretty good too.

If a physical copy is cost prohibitive, there’s always an mp3 version to be had on Amazon :headphones:

1 Like

I’m certainly that curious. I can be a little snobby about MP3s but in truth they sound pretty good and are better than no version at all. Thanks very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Swedish Polarbears: The Great Northern

Harmony and guitar-rich power-pop from Sweden***

It’s been ten years since this Swedish quartet broke on the power-pop scene with their Teenage Fanclub tribute, “Norman Blake.” They’ve released the odd single and EP over the intervening years, but it’s taken a full decade for them to write and record a proper debut album. And yes, it was worth the wait. The group’s harmonies are gorgeous, the guitar sounds superb, and the first single, “Winter,” is awash in Byrdsian jangle and folk-styled harmonies. The group’s fascination with Teenage Fanclub hasn’t abated, but you can also hear the influences of the Searchers, Motors and Beach Boys. The album is awash in catchy melodies, tight harmonies and walls of electric guitars, all finely balanced against a solid rhythm section of hummable bass lines and full-kit drum fills. The group’s amalgam of pop influences may not break new ground, but the precision and joie de vivre with which they weave it all together is quite endearing. [©2016 Hyperbolium]

https://i.imgur.com/pw6i1A0.png

Listen [soundcloud]. / Buy [Swedish Polarbears store]

Tribute song they did for their Teenage Fanclub idol…

1 Like

Only 4 singles for Swedish Polarbears in the Qobuz library, but I will give them a listen…

After I finish listening to Electric Chair by Hoodoo Gurus. This morning’s posts reminded me that it’s been a while since I have had a solid power pop listening session.

PNG image

3 Likes