Programming language discussion

Mods have pruned this thread back until we found something that might conceivably contribute to the sum total of human knowledge. Please remember to talk about ideas, not each other.

6 Likes

Back in the day, C++ was what I programmed in. My favorite language.

So many nooks and crannies and ways to accomplish things in an elegant manner.

Definitely need to reference the ARM from time to time

2 Likes

Came across this post on the professional networking linkedin, I think this is typical for a crypto C/C++ development today:

### $500-800k Lead & IC, C/C++ Crypto Low-latency - Remote

I am working with a firm that is one of the largest players in high frequency trading within the crypto markets. They are very successful in Hong Kong and Australia & have a trading team in New York. They are looking at establishing a development team in the US and have three requirements (1 TL & 2 IC) to work 100% remotely either across ET or PT time zones. Role & Skills: PhD in CS (Or similarly related field. Developing low-latency software for their market data API Programming in C/C++ and/or Python. Line rate feed handling & C++ optimization. on large-scale distributed systems. Familiarity in trading is useful, but not essential. Comp: Technical Lead:- $525-800k split into base and bonus Sr ICx2:- $300-500k x2 split into base and bonus

Damn! Entered the market and retired too soon.

2 Likes

Indian, Russian & Chinese developers are filling up the holes. the CEOs of MS, Google and other hi-tech firms are all from abroad.

Most grads I interview are not Americans, just American students. Even if itā€™s just a trend in American education, it probably drives the global demand, considering the companies you named are American. Itā€™s clear the emphasis is shifting away from low level. I guess in the future, computers will [re]program themselves, you just tell them what you need them to do, Star Trek-style.

Calling C++ low level? That;s odd, but then I programmed in IBM Assembler for years.

High level? Who remembers RPGII?

1 Like

Yes, I got what you are saying.

But the jobs that I am talking about are not for grads. Most of these developers usually come from abroad, that is why big hi-tech firms are pushing & lobbying hard for H1-B visa.

The beauty of C++ is that itā€™s both very high and very low level, depending on what youā€™re after. Most of the time, you get faster code in C++ than if you did it in assembly. I call it low level because you can control everything and screw up everything, something you canā€™t really do with other, managed languages. Also, compared to .NET libraries for example, STLā€™s functionality is rather limited and only covers the basics.

2 Likes

I am talking about people I usually interview. They are from abroad, but study in US colleges.

Started Young and taught myself 6800, Z80 and 6502 Assembly code after learning Basic.
Wrote a lot of gaming times etc it was actually a lot of fun and I enjoyed it a lot :roll_eyes:

Definitely didnā€™t want to write games after that :grin:

1 Like

For the level of 200K ā†’ 500K positions, they are not for grads, they are for PhD, MS levels with 5 or 10 plus experiences.

Of course, there is a market for grads, but they usually take 2 or 3 years on the learning curve before they can do anything serious. It is not about mastering a particular language, the key thing is to be able to understand and solve problems. Some problems can be very complex, especially when they involve enterprise levels on a massive scale.

A ZX Spectrum clone was my first computer :slight_smile: I read The Complete Spectrum ROM Disassembly like a novel. That helped me crack a few games and give me infinite lives, just to make it to the end. Who knows, with all the revivals going on, maybe 8-bit games will be a big thing again. My son asked me the other day if I still had a CRT monitor around, because it would make vintage games look better. I donā€™tā€¦

3 Likes

I read something similar that hardcore gamers prefer the look and feel of using CRTs for their vintage games. Playing on LCDs just isnā€™t the same for them. Heaven help us all if CRTs become popular again.

I havenā€™t written assembly code in years. In school they made me write an assembler for the 8080 in IBM 360 assembly language ā€“ Iā€™ve still got the deck of cards somewhere.

CommonLisp and C++ are two broad and powerful languages with flexible macro systems, but, as Iā€™ve said, require extremely skilled and rare programmers to use properly. Most C++ code Iā€™ve read is essentially C+; C extended with one particular part of C++.

Julia brings a lot of the two together ā€“ useful macros and high-level support with the ability to drop down low as necessary, and speed. A very nice language.

2 Likes

I was listening to a podcast on using old CRT screens a few weeks ago for gameplay. Canā€™t imagine going back now, but more authentic I guess.

So much fun with those old computers and programming/hacking them. People have no idea how good they have it with Raspberry Piā€™s :grin:
Such an amazing little device

2 Likes

Just had too Google that just in case it was a late Aprilā€™s Fool.
Never come across it, so I will have a read up of itā€™s capabilities.

Always loved learning (never mastering)a new language

1 Like

EEE Nostalgia aint what it used to be

I followed he same path but ZX81 then a 6502 . It was too much like hard work so I went Apple Pascal , this was way too buggy so went VBA (UGH ā€¦) :rofl:

Eventually finished up in C# , but fluent VB.Net and TSQL , the company I worked for loved logic in Stored Procs (Not My Opinion I might add )

I still tinker in C# if I have to , C++ scared me :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Iā€™m another self taught in the 80s. Basic on a 380Z, 6502 assembly on a C64, & bought a C compiler for a BBC B as well. Started as a coder on old VAX machines in C, then to C++ on VAX alphas and Unix. After 10 years C/C++ was forced to move to Java, against my will :slight_smile: but ended up liking it. Can hold my own with JavaScript and Python but wouldnā€™t consider myself expert in either. I have a massive preference for strongly typed languages so Typescript is interesting.

Iā€™ve heard of it but thatā€™s before my time.

A few games used to really benefit, particularly those with vector graphics like Asteroids, Tempest and the king of cabinets that was Defenderā€¦

4 Likes

Not sure about that Mike as Nostalgia makes me remember it being fairly easy :roll_eyes::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I discovered Pascal and then C and once I found C I was happy. Donā€™t get much time to program these days but I still write a bit of C and bought a copy of Pure Basic about 10 years ago because it has amazing library for database, web, ftp etc that allowed me to quickly knock together some tools for personal and work stuff that is still in use 10 years later :grin:

Ha ha I employed a contractor who loved stored procedure development and wrote me an amazing warehouse system in TSQL with a front end running on Symbol Windows CE based barcode scanners. I could barely understand or debug it after he left :joy:

1 Like