Qobuz account hacked

Roon seems lax on security, by todays standards, from beginning to end. It might harm the experience, but anything networked with my data and my payment details, needs solid protection. Its a bad world out there. The future, customer opens Roon:

Hi Mike, can you identify the traffic lights, and enter the 16 digit number from the message we sent?

:rofl:

1 Like

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

This will tell you if your email is on a leaked list

Is it wise to type your email address into this site , I am not very trusting ?

Only you can decide that

Well, if you think you need to check if your account is hacked, just don’t.

Don’t waste time and change your most important password(s) immediately.

Dirk

1 Like

Sorry but this event, as quite clearly detailed by myself was a hack of my Qobuz account.
There were then some slight sync issues afterwards but not exactly the same as others.
Thank you.

Unfortunately effectively everyone’s has been at this point.

Best course, use unique passwords everywhere and unique usernames and passwords for banking, healthcare, etc.

Enable MFA everywhere it’s available.

3 Likes

I am feeling really dim here but how would a hacker ‘remove’ your album?

More importantly why, is he like an audiophile hacker?

He could start using your account as if it was his.

What @Jim_F said!!

I still don’t understand why Roon doesn’t store your album information in Roon, instead it relies on Qobuz or Tidal. Over a year ago I raised this question but the response was basically “that’s the way it is and we are not going to change it”. Roon stores indexing information for your local library but your music files are stored on your local storage separately from Roon. The same could be done for Qobuz and Tidal - Roon can store indexing information but the media can be stored remotely by Qobuz and Tidal. If this could be implemented situations described by the OP would be non-existent. Moreover, you wouldn’t lose your library moving cross-accounts from/to Qobuz, Tidal etc. whatever comes up in the future.

1 Like

This is exactly how I assumed Roon worked. As you pointed out, it doesn’t but it really should.

1 Like

Never mind. I thought you meant Roon store albums on our local system. I see now you must mean for Roon to store albums on their server. At least, maybe that’s what you are suggesting, IDK.

I didn’t suggest to download music files from Qobuz or Tidal. Besides, tell us how streaming is different from downloading. Downloads go to a buffer than are saved to you media, streamed content goes to a buffer but never makes to the hard drive. The first step is the same. There are programs that allow to save streamed content. One can write such an app.

You would rather Roon didn’t just store metadata irrespective of which copy of an album you have ?

There is no disadvantage (that i am aware of) to Roon storing the information it already captures at an album level rather than a specific copy level.

‘Roon stores indexing information for your local library but your music files are stored on your local storage separately from Roon. The same could be done for Qobuz and Tidal - Roon can store indexing information but the media can be stored remotely by Qobuz and Tidal.’

This is what I understand occurs now. What part do you think isn’t?

When you add a Tidal or Qobuz album to your library, Roon is storing the metadata for that album in your Roon database. Currently, a connection between this metadata and Qobuz has gone astray and likely needs to be rebuilt to reconnect the object in the local db to the stored location in Qobuz ‘cloud’.

No. I don’t have Qobuz but if you have Tidal your library is stored in Tidal, not Roon. If you go to Tidal bypassing Roon and delete an album or all of them from your Favorites or whatever it’s called in Tidal, I forget, when you return to Roon they will be gone from your library in Roon. Once I had to switch accounts in Tidal and there was no way to transfer my library neither in Roon nor in Tidal. I had to recreate everything. Roon relies on Tidal for storing your library. The same is true for Qobuz, otherwise the OP situation wouldn’t have happened.

P.S. Here is my post about that and see Support’s reply: Changing TIDAL account; any tips? - #5 by G_P

Yeah, unfortunately I don’t see a technical way around it working this way. Nor would I expect that Tidal and/or Qobuz would agree to it if one was crafted. They reserve this right for their own use, not 3rd parties integrating with their solutions.

In the future, check out Soundiiz.com yep another service hosted only in the cloud to transfer from one music platform to another and avoid the pain of recreation.

Good luck to you

1 Like

Not really, it just synchronises the albums from your tidal favourites. When you add one in tidal the next time Roon syncs it will add that to your Roon library, when you remove a favourite from tidal the next time Roon syncs it will be removed from Roon. Just as it does when you add or remove an audio file on local storage. The only real difference is the source location of the track.

You can prove this by removing a favourite from tidal (using the tidal app), then go see it remains in Roon until the next time it syncs with tidal.

The Roon library is a database that resides on your local Roon server machine.

The Tidal and Qobuz music files don’t belong to Roon or us. They belong to Tidal and Qobuz. We are merely paying a fee via Roon to listen to them. Our Roon library, other than your own music files, is simply a database of “links” to the Tidal and Qobuz music files. Roon does push out to our Roon database, metadata that syncs with our music, local and streamed.