Qobuz not what I expected

Qobuz is still lacking imo for the majority of what I listen to. New material is getting better but older stuff it’s seriously lacking, but there is stuff I have found only on Qobuz so that’s why I have both also to have the higher res.

1 Like

That’s depressing to hear Qobuz is still so heavily lacking even in the UK. Tidal already has a fairly dismal back catalogue for many artists compared to Deezer, and the “big two” even moreso. Qobuz being that much worse than what was already the low bar (though Tidal does keep improving) is like winning an ugly contest. Do you have any examples of things you’ve found on Qobuz but not on Tidal, or at least genres that you can think of? So far I haven’t found anything, but the US catalog, for now, isn’t a good example.

I’m just curious as I try to analyze which services to keep and which not to if Qobuz should be in my mix or not based on if it does have potential to find things for me Tidal lacks. The ability to have both in Roon is pretty much the only selling point to Qobuz for me at this point as it’s easier than switching between different player apps for different tracks (though I have to do that already.) If it nets some additional music, it might be valuable…even if just a cheap lossy sub (even though I no doubt already get the same things on Apple, which I’m already stuck with.)

I’ve gotten the Sublime subscription for Qobuz for a year. I had a subscription several years ago when you could get it in the US via back doors. That made it seem even more attractive.
What I like about Qobuz is they have a somewhat different view of how they interpret and present music. I find it refreshing compared to Tidal. For what I listen to they have a smaller library, but I’ve gotten some great ‘leads’ from them through playlists and their featured selections. And of course with Roon, once you get a good lead all the hyperlinks can lead you in all sorts of wonderful directions.
It is admittedly an indulgence to have both Qobuz and Tidal, and I may not keep it this way. But it does give me the best opportunity to explore music in Roon.
They do seem to have a better selection of 24bit music and their store is also much more accessible than Tidal’s.

2 Likes

You can buy music from Tidal?