Qobuz + TIDAL. Am I nuts?

Soundiiz makes this pretty easy.
It’s good to occasionally export the metadata for your Tidal and/or Qobuz collections to a file to keep record of what you have. Another ‘backup’, so to speak.

1 Like

Soundiiz can help with favorite-d artists and albums. Soundiiz cannot replace a Qobuz song on a Tidal playlist with the corresponding Tidal (or local for that matter) version of that song. This is something that Roon needs to build. Only Roon can modify Roon playlists.

Has Qobuz stopped selling and streaming DSD?

Welcome to the group… :slight_smile:

I didn’t knew Qobuz streamed or had DSD…

?

They probably didn’t stream it but I thought I bought some from them.
But here’s an article from 2017 claiming they’d come with DSD streams by the end of that year and DSD downloads before that.
https://www.alpha-audio.nl/2017/08/qobux-komt-richting-einde-jaar-dsd-streams/
It’s in Dutch though.

Same here. Have both, love both.

2 Likes

I stuck with Tidal after subscribing to Qobuz for a few months once support was added to Roon and haven’t paid much attention since. After a year+ now, how do the two services compare with regards to library, reliability, sq, etc? I have a Mytek Brooklyn DAC, but don’t normally have MQA enabled since I typically prefer up-conversion to the ‘magic’ of MQA (i.e. MQA support is a non-issue).

I have both but will be switching to Qobuz only from end of October… I prefer Qobuz, and 98% of what I had in Tidal is also in Qobuz. Not interested in MQA.

I do now have both myself. I primarily use Qobuz leaving Tidal to fill in any gaps.£35 pm isnt bad when I was spending £400 plus pm on music. Yes I still buy the odd vinyl/Hi Res file but im still saving myself a fortune

1 Like

I just added Qobuz (and continue to subscribe to TIDAL which I’ve had almost since TIDAL’s Day 1). I hit the TIDAL Favorites limit of 9999 tracks and that meant I could add NO more TIDAL albums to my Roon collection. I am a HUGE believer and user of Roon and I love the ability to search and experience your whole Library. With both TIDAL and Qobuz, I can now grow my Library as large as I want! I’ve noticed that almost all albums are available in both services. I don’t need (or want) to buy downloads on Qobuz. I have it so I can continue to grow my Roon collection

Not nuts and there’s a few threads discussing it. I’m currently using both for a month to listen to a few albums on Tidal. I was never really planning to keep both. One thing I have noticed is that you’re exposure to streaming service performance issues is doubled. Either service slowing down affects aspects of the UX. If both Qobuz and Tidal are struggling at the same time, not unheard of, then it’s frustratingly slow searching and caching album art.

I use both Tidal and Qobuz for streaming a total of 2000 linked albums. Since I only stream one album at a time, nothing is slowing down anything. They both work flawlessly for me. I just renewed for another year of Tidal for $99.99. I paid $149.99 for a year of Qobuz last January.

Been a Tidal subscriber for 7, 8 years. After trying Qobuz for 6 months I’ve just cancelled the Tidal subscription. I think Qobuz sounds slightly better and the app for on the road listening is more reliable.

Smart!

Qobuz £15 per month, Tidal Hi-Fi £20 per month & Spotify Family £15 per month (for 6 users!)

Both premium services with Roon integration offers hours of entertainment, utilising the equipment we all spend our hard earned money on. End of the day, for most people on here, this is a hobbie, not just a form of entertainment.

Even when I was at school, I’d buy up to 10 albums a month with my Saturday job money on CD or in iTunes - considering that, even at £50 GBP per month it offers great value for money in my opinion :slight_smile:

It’s the wine that accompanies the Hi-Fi that I sometimes have to think twice about!

6 Likes

Know that feeling - seen CD’s that I’m after (I listen to a lot of 90’s dance/house & still need to grow up :slight_smile: ) that are literally hundreds of pounds & then they just sit on Tidal or Spotify waiting to be streamed. No hassle sourcing, no condition issues on picky high end CD players, just ease of use & instant listening when you fancy it.

2 Likes

For those of you (like me) who have Tidal and also Qobuz, how do you decide which service in which to ‘favourite’ an album?

In my case I was a Tidal subscriber for a couple years and built up a library of about 2,000 albums as favourites. Tidal suggested playlists I really like and I assume they are based on those favourited album data.

When I signed up for Qobuz I used the soundiiz service to copy Tidal favourites over to Qobuz. So now I have 4,000 albums listed in Roon, half are duplicates. A lot of the time I prefer the Qobuz sound quality over Tidal, and I got spooked by the whole MQA thing. Anyway now Roon ‘thinks’ I have 4,000 albums whereas really I have 2,000 Tidal and the same 2,000 on Qobuz. (with maybe 5% non-overlap).

I feel like this wasn’t the smartest move.

How do users of both Tidal and Qobuz approach this?

thanks,

I want to see both. I choose which one I want to play for whatever reason. You can click “hide duplicates” if you only want to see one occurrence of each album. Or, you can use Focus if you just want to see Tidal or Qobuz, but not both.

I have both. I do Qobuz first and Tidal second. I also have Apple Music but I use it on the go.

1 Like

i used to buy hi res on qobuz but gave up - better to buy second hand cds (which is much cheaper) and rip them yourself. Hi res of a newly mastered album is often far worse sound quality than cd quality of the original release

3 Likes