Question: Better sound from a $40 USB 2.0 HDD external drive OR from a custom-built low noise, low vibration external USB 2.0 HDD device?

One Persons Answer - 2 years later: Which SOUNDS better a $40 HDD or $xxx Home made (for fun) HDD with filters (power & HDD), cooling, ant-vibration etc etc … Could I tell the differance ? I was listening and someone else was plugging IN/OUT the 2 HDD while only seeing the identical cables marked #1 & #2 (drives not visible.) OK, the drives are different yet both USB-2.0.

System: Home made streamer (I spent too much $$$ making this), Chord reference DAC and Pre-Amp, Chord Power Amp and Wilson Benesch A.C.T. 1 Speakers.

The result was “I could not tell the differance between the two!”

2 Likes

Brother, most people pretty much understand this, so not much of a revelation.
Welcome to reality. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then again, there’s this -
https://taikoaudio.com/taiko-2020/extreme-music-server/

From the Taiko web site -

:rofl:

When I read 10.000 rpm HDD I thought this post must be from 2007. Why would anybody still use a HDD if you don’t need a massive amount of storage?

Just get a Sata SSD or a nvme ssd

As this thread seems to discuss drives that may or may not sound (bettter), you guys may be interested in the Floppotron (the current instrument is the Floppotron 3.0). And how does it sound?

:smiley:

3 Likes

Thanks for looking … It was only a bit of fun and I had most of the parts anyway. I guess nothing ‘beats’ a listening test??? (BTW on my NUC its all SSD type M.2 storage.)

Thanks for looking … It was only a bit of fun and I had most of the parts anyway. I guess nothing ‘beats’ a listening test???

Wow… that is a leftfield. Thanks for looking at my post … It was only a bit of fun and I had most of the parts anyway. I guess nothing ‘beats’ a listening test??? (BTW on my NUC its all SSD type M.2 storage.)