Question slash Idea - Eliminating metadata scrubbing to reduce cost?

All of these things are done by Plex. We don’t need Roon to turn into Plex when that product already exists.

If you want to pay less and care about those features, a product already exists for the people you are talking about.

Turning Roon into a skeleton product has no real value.

I agree that the recommendation engine is quite good and it is a signature feature of roon. However, most people don’t find roon because they are looking for a recommendation engine, they are looking for a way to get their music out of their house. And that is the point I am trying to make here. A base tier that just focuses on getting your music moving and leave the recommendations for the higher priced tiers.

Lets be real here, there is no one else doing excellent music management and music mobility in the same product.

I just reinstalled Plex amp and there is no way to import or export playlists.
I was using Jriver and it is really good for what it is, but its a offline DLNA product and to get music to go i have to sync my library to android and its so damn broken its useless.

There are many solutions, but few that check all the boxes I typically look for. And those features can be flexible.

For instance, streaming Roon music outside of my house wouldn’t have been such a big deal if there was a way for Roon to synchronise my music library to my phone’s sd card. Think wireless Zune sync from back in the day.

I was thinking more about album and artist data, rather than the recommendations.

Are you sure? My primary focus, and the reason I recently upgraded to lifetime, is to manage my local collection within my home. Getting it out of the house was a nice bonus, but it was by no means essential for me.

Plexamp does not do offline anything.
It most certainly does not do importing and exporting of playlists.

I just reinstalled it and checked it to see this.

I am currently looking in appdata to see if it stored my test playlist i just built as some sort or m3u file or some other playlist format i could easily copy off, but nope, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Stripping out the fluff and building a sub product that focuses on, and does specific things very well has value. You just need to stop focusing on cost being one of the benefits.

On mobile you can offline content, on your server you can toggle on DLNA server:

https://www.howtogeek.com/303282/how-to-use-plex-media-server-without-internet-access/

For playlist imports:

In case you want a cleaner and fast way to manage playlists with Plex:

You can import and export to files. Soundiiz would add to the total cost, meaning Plex plus Soundiiz would be $8.

Your original point was that you wanted the cost of Roon to be lower, your focus was on cost.

If cost is no object then Roon already does what you want.

Given plex exists, there is no need to gut Roon to make it cheaper.

The “fluff” you refer to is why Roon exists, not for you but for everyone else that susbcribes. If they didn’t want the “fluff” they would use Plex.

1 Like

A google will show you how to import a playlist into Plex. You don’t import into PlexAmp goes into ther main Plexserver then will be available in PlexAmp. You do need to a use a 3rd party app Soundiiz which you do for getting stuff out of Roon. You can pay for one months sub then cancel. It will convert from one format playlist to Plex playlists. These go into you main plex app and sync to PlexAmp. Done.

1 Like

Question slash Idea - Eliminating metadata scrubbing to reduce cost?
'Cause I do not need them

Question slash Idea - Eliminating ARC to reduce cost?
'Cause I do not need my library outside my house

Question slash Idea - Eliminating DSP to reduce cost?
'Cause I have a perfect listening system

Question slash Idea - Eliminating multiroom to reduce cost?
'Cause I only have one listening system

Question slash Idea - Eliminating multi platform support to reduce cost?
'Cause I use only one platform (so lets support my platform of course)

Question slash Idea - Eliminating streaming support to reduce cost?
'Cause I use only my local library

Question slash Idea - Eliminating local library support to reduce cost?
'Cause I use only streaming services

4 Likes

But none of this is actual functionality that was designed as part of the service. They’re basically hacks.

Roon requires far more hacks than this.