RAAT and clock ownership

RAAT never runs in a source-clocked mode–it is always locked against something, which in practice is the furthest clock in the chain that we can get access to. This is most often the DAC’s clock. Next most often, it’s the clock in an S/PDIF, AES, or UAC1.0 interface.

This summary is an example of the exact kind of confusion that I was warning against above.

If you think through the implementation details of these devices (if you haven’t, read and fully digest John Swenson’s link that I posted above, which explains one such product and provides a good framework for further understanding), it’s clear that these devices are proxying USB packets at a low level and not the USB Audio Protocol itself.

This means there is no “giving access” or “interfering” to consider. Roon is seeing the DAC’s clock through these devices, just as it would through any other USB hub.

To be 100% clear: the reclocking done in these kinds of devices has nothing to do with the audio clock. They are reclocking USB data transmission bits in layer that is not synchronously coupled to audio playback or the audio sample clock.

The reason why @gasman’s question is not getting a clear answer is because it used the word “clock” in a more imprecise way than in my original statement which he was referencing, and this created an ambiguity. I was talking about sample clocks, which are not the domain of these USB enhancer products.

This is why I went about explaining some of the different clocks in the system, instead of directly answering a confusing question.

The idea of “delivering the enhanced clock signal for Roon to use as the reference clock” flat out does not make sense. It’s just not how this stuff works. It’s not really possible to have a clear discussion about this if the concepts of a USB/data transmission clock and the audio clock are blurred together.

Except–this isn’t actually a question about RAAT. The answer is self-evident just looking at how USB Audio works in isolation. USB enhancers are about compensating for some shortcomings of USB, and don’t really interact with RAAT at all. If they have an effect at all, that effect will probably be the same with RAAT as with other transmission mechanisms.

4 Likes