RAID is not backup — but I survived

IDrive is doing a promotion at the moment which makes it good value IMO

Tom’s Guide has done a decent comparison of other services as well

1 Like

It is not cheap - you’re right - I am lucky enough to include the cost in my business expenses. Previously I have used Backblaze which is slightly cheaper and includes a range of restore options from fresh downloads to disk-by-post. That’s probably what I would recommend from my own experience…

Have a look here, were 7,68TB SSD is discussed, and apparently works

I just put a 4TB SSD in my NUC as I was getting sick of Roon not reporting changes on files held on my Synology NAS automatically. Big enough for now. I will place it on a backup routine very similar to yours. I love the Synology system and would have preferred keeping my audio files there, but here we go…

I used to drop a usb backup disk at my sister’s for off site storage when we visited but that is disrupted of late…

Go through the library and trim some of the music you know you’ll never listen to. Put it on another watched folder on a spinning drive.

I think that’s the solution - keep most listened-to tracks in the easiest place to access them. Presumably I can plug the spinning drive into the vacant USB socket in the Nucleus and it will find it automatically?

Yes, that should work. It does with my USBs.

AWS glacier, it will cost you $1/TB/Month. The restore price is another story.

1 Like

I made a physical backup of my music and gave it to a friend and he did the same. Occasionally, we make new backups and swap. But\ to be honest, I have purchased only 3 or 4 discs or downloads since I got Roon and all of those were multi-channel.

My ripped movies is a completely different story. I’ve current got about 17TB used on my NAS (and growing). I do plan to purchase another smaller NAS and make of copy of my movies and move them off site as well. And for insurance purposes, I have a list of every movie I have ripped and that list is stored on the “cloud”

Regarding the radius of biggest nuclear weapons, a proper backup should be replicated minimum 30km away. At this point, it requires TWO nuclear heads to destroy your data.

1 Like

When I was working with cloud services and we looked at data protection, we replicated the data so it could be retained or recovered in case of different losses: a drive, a chassis (computer), a rack (power, network), a data center (building), a campus (several buildings that share certain infrastructure and vulnerability). Beyond this, we would consider earthquakes and hurricanes that take out several campuses.

Nukes fall in that category.

The problem is that when you write some data, you need to wait for a confirmation before you can move on. (It’s more complicated but the principle holds.)

And if you want to replicate data from California to New York, the application is bogged down, dramatically, by the latency of going across the continent. This is because of Einstein’s pesky speed-of-light limitation. Going cross-continent takes tens of milliseconds.

But we were working on it, just wait until version 3!

Yes, backup of the actual albums is just as important as the Roon data backup. I have two backups with one normally divorced from the PC/Roon network to avoid any nasty catastropies there - a few years ago I had the misfortune to expereience ransomware but was saved because of backups not connected, Backing up is a bit of a PIA but to be preferred to losing the music library!!

I have two Synology RS815+ NAS units connected in a “high availability cluster”. Am I wrong in considering this setup to be backed up?

Depends on your level of risk acceptance, if the location is compromised and they are are co located then you have no backup, maybe that’s ok for an hour or a day or a week etc, for music it might be fine, for your business resumption maybe not so fine.

1 Like

Resilient - yes, redundant - yes but still not strictly a backup IMO. For instance if something corrupts your data in use on the cluster it is likely to be corrupted on both nodes pretty quickly, and you potentially have no way to recover it. To do that you would need a way to go back to an earlier copy, and also relies on you knowing when the corruption occurred and having enough historic copies to recover from.

And as @wizardofoz says if the nodes are co-located then they can both be taken down in the same fire/flood/theft/power spike/nuclear blast etc.

1 Like

Ransomware would be a big issue too

2 Likes

I don’t know anyone who ever talked about backing up vinyl, cassettes, reel to reels or CDs. And yet I can still find (and sometime buy) 40 years or so vinyl discs… they where someone’s backups at the time I suppose!

1 Like

I guess that’s because there was no way to backup those things! Unless you bought two copies of everything and stored them at different locations??

A fire or a flood could wreak havoc on a large vinyl collection!

Now we can backup our digital media cheaply and easily, we have a lot of it too; video, photos, music, documents etc.

A lot of it, checked. Easily, checked. Cheap, not so sure. Bottom line though it’s an absolutely necessarily thing (evil) I still believe that the whole backup thing is way to much overrated. An this is one (of the may) aspects I can’t (personally) take about the computer based music: it is always more about the computer than the music!

We can also consider the streaming services as a very valid backup (assuming that one’s personal music is also available from streaming). You won’t need a back-up at all…

I agree to a point on the streaming platforms… however some genres are simply not covered at all, or you have to have multiple subscriptions.

Regarding backups in general; I would be absolutely distraught if I lost the last twenty years of digital photos and videos. Music I would probably get over as it can be recovered in other ways, but not the irreplaceable photo albums etc.