Raspberry Pi 4, what to choose

Danny’s post makes it clear that Roon delivers a gapless stream to Chromecast devices, but if the wifi network isn’t good, a gap can occur, because Roon uses small buffers.

1 Like

I agree with this, and I’m puzzled considering my network gear.

I’ll have to recheck when home and make an update to my post.

At the time of writing my original post I was experiencing regular gaps on my CCA.

Sorry to ask but do you receive anything from mentioning WiiM Pro?

John

Fair question, I should have covered this earlier. No, not at all.

I do have a relationship with WiiM for reviewing purposes. I also know their UK distributor, Henley Audio, well. They supplied the WiiM Pro Plus that I’m currently reviewing (to be published shortly). Both relationships are of the normal reviewer / industry type though, I get nothing in return for suggesting their products. Whenever I suggest any product, here or elsewhere, it’s based on my experience with it and because I think it could be a good fit to the particular need.

I haven’t done any sponsored work at all. Should that change I’d make it clear that I was being paid. That rather undermines reviewer impartiality though, so I have no plans to do it.

Hi Johnny,

What OS do you use on the Raspberry? And was it hard to install?

Thanks
Tobbe

I use Dietpi and have the Argon One v2 case for all of my devices.

I stumbled at first to get WiFi working so I could install it without a keyboard and monitor, but it’s pretty easy assuming everything below makes sense.

• I use Balena Etcher to write the DietPi image to the SD card.
  • Then open the card on my laptop and edit two files related to WiFi and start-up to set my WiFi details.
  • Then pop the SD card in RPi and start it.
  • After say 10 mins you should be able to ping the IP address you set up for the wifi and then I used SSH to login.
  • Finally I used the DietPi software to install Roon bridge and it was done.

If editing text files, ping and ssh all sound like nonsense to you all is not lost, but you’d need to do a bit of reading first.

I don’t have access to things right now or I’d give you more details. Happy to dig it out later if that helps you.

Excellent, many thanks. I will only use it with Ethernet, so I suppose I dont have to

• Then open the card on …
  • After say 10 mins you should…

Again, thanks!!!

1 Like

No problem.

It will probably be easier without wifi, but you probably want to set your IP address so you know where to login in to.

Simple enough I hope.

Hello,

Got it working, thats fantastic. And sounds great
(failed with Ubuntu and the Rasperry one)

Just “final” question, how do I ensure that RoonBridge start when the Rasperry is booting, after a power outage or the cat pulls the cable out
Thanks again, highly appreciated

1 Like

If you installed Roon bridge using dietpi-software, it will automatically be configured to start on power up.

1 Like

Great, many thanks!