Raspbery Pi and IQAudIO boards

I have been using PiCorePlayer with my HiFiBerry DIgi+, flawlessly.
And I noticed it supports the PiDAC+ as well.
I plan to try both PCP and Gordon’s image.

Question: Wired or Wireless?

I’ve got a spare RPi2 lying around, and thought I might repurpose it as a Roon Endpoint to feed into a Quad 44 pre-amp.

My question though is: would this work via a WiFi connection to the Roon Core system, or must it be via a wired ethernet connection? If it can be WiFi, is there a recommended USB Wifi dongle for the RPi2 that I should get?

Thanks.

Either will work Geoff.

I have mine running picoreplayer wireless and Roon sees it as a squeezebox

I use the Edimax EW-7811UN dongle which is about £7.50 off amazon. This dongle is recommended on a lot of pi forums.

Thanks Wayne. I feel an experiment coming on…

Wayne/Geoff

I have mine running with Ethernet, just coz its a short hidden wire from an airport extreme with a vacant port. Would I be correct in thinking your wifi will do everything from redbook to 192 without flinching? if so I too feel an experiment coming on.

Yes Paul. Mine plays 192 PCM flawlessly and even DSD to PCM conversion through Roon plays no problem.

Wayne

Good time to go and buy one then
Thanks

Great times for cheap, quality Hi-Fi

I have RPi2 with the IQRoon_RC2.img working as a roon endpoint. It just works, everything I throw at it - albeit on an ethernet connection.

I’d now like to try with wifi. For this, I first need to login to the RPi2. The regular user/password combinations do not seem to work for me. Has anyone tried setting this up with a wifi connection, if so, how?

Many thanks
mark

Gordon will be the best person to ask regarding the iQaudio image but I would presume you would need to ssh into your pi using putty (win program) and input the settings from there.

If you use picoreplayer you can access your pi using any web browser by inputting your pi’s ip address (this can be found by using an app like network scanner).

Firstly install picoreplayer on your sd card.

Boot it up using a network cable (but have wi-fi dongle plugged in).

Access your pi using the ip address and input your wifi network settings and configure dac.

Turn off your Pi and pull network cable and then reboot.

You should now have wi-fi working and Roon will see the pi as a squeezebox.

For the guys using the DAC+, do you think the quality is high enough to use in your main (possibly expensive) systems ?How does it compare with the equivilent HifiBerry product ?. Is there an IQaudio product, with Coax/optical out to feed another DAC ?

Only got a ifi nano to compare to and I personally prefer the iqaudio.

No, I dont believe there is a optical/coaxial version. Only the dac+ and the dac+amp

Just connected up the +dac with the separate amp that goes with it for the first time. I was very pleasantly surprised with the results sent direct to my main listening room speakers.

Not as good as my linear power supplied modified Mac mini and exasound e28, etc but not really that far away. I’m not comparing apples with apples here though.

Off to source some small bookshelf speakers and 19v lps for it, so that it can go in the kitchen. For £120 or thereabouts that the pi/dac/amp costs, it’s a complete bargain.

All I need to do with it now is find out from Gordon how to get shareport on it so that iPads and iphones can AirPlay to it.

Try moode player image. That as shareport incorporated.

Cheers

Yes I could or I could use one of Gordon’s other images. I want the Roon front end though.
He’s just emailed to say that the Roon image is locked down and no user or password is available, but hopes to find the time next week to have a look. So there is hope. So can’t fiddle with the wifi dongle either at the moment

I’d love to see a turnkey solution from IQAudio for the Pi as a Roon (and NAA ?) endpoint with a Wi-Fi option. That would be a killer device for multi-room distribution.

Very much agree!:slight_smile: Something that supports Wireless N dongles, and Roon would be perfect.

Thanks @Gordon_Garrity, for speedy shipping of 2 PiDAC+s
and the Smoked box. Playing smoothly, sounding great!

I too got the RC2 image from Gordon(thanks!) and now I got a sound from RPI2/PI-DAC+. I listened it just straight out from the headphone out but it sounded very nice.
I am using wired Ethernet right now but it hooked up with WiFi router and connected to my Roon PC via WiFi. So WiFi connection should be no problem in term of traffic bandwidth.

Hi Gordon, is the Pi/RAAT image available for testing? I would happily put it through the paces with a Pi2 running a Hifiberry DAC+, DAC+ Pro and USB driven Aune X1s.