Reach maximum server sound quality / transparency

And where exactly have I - or another poster in this thread - done that?

As “data”, music is secure
 you can only “optimize” things when it becomes “audible”, where the human ear/brain combo is always up to trickery. If you disagree with me, my setup will still sound exactly the same. Lots of “Emperors clothes” out there
 let’s not forget to enjoy the music!

3 Likes

Everybody who think others can’t have heard what they heard, without knowing who the other is. That was not for you especially, that’s for all that think the people that hear something « imagine differences ». Total irrespect to other people for me to think they are just fool, but they can’t realize it’s a simple matter of respect, and I can’t understand that.

Maybe a litle less drama is in order here. Not all opinions and statements are of the same value. Especially the “I saw what I saw” or “I heard what I heard” argument is rather weak. The human brain fools itself quite easily.

If someone says they saw a flying pig (or an alien spaceship), there is no imperative to believe them without further evidence that there actually was a flying pig. If someone says they hear acoustic differences caused by soft- or hardware, when there is no measurement that either the soft- or the hardware have changed anything, there is no imperative to believe them without further evidence that there actually is an acoustic difference.

Their perception might have been as they state, but that doesn’t mean it’s an accurate description of reality. As I wrote, the human brain fools itself quite easily. So, this is not about “total disrespect” at all, but about healthy skepticism.

9 Likes

True, but the problem is that we don’t have the ability to listen to everything we are interested in. Nowadays we have to make a desicion based on
yes what exactly? That’s maybe the reson why people get so obsessed by software differences, they can be downloaded and easily tested. That’s the only remaining thing people can get a grip of sometimes. Another pair of loudspeakers which would make up to a thousandfold of a difference is much more difficult to compare. So yes, mesurements don’t tell everything but st least a whole lot more than no measurements at all.

1 Like

Lol, and you don’t understand why I can feel a bit in the drama Roland
 sadly just what I said, please let me stay in the drama and return to my nuclear reactor pilot job, bad perceptions and fooled brain :sweat_smile: I’ll tell my friends in different audio systems that have the exactly same perceptions to make quickly a lobotomy to lose all these imagined perceptions.

Nyquist, do you know what kind of speakers I can listen to and sometime compare directly in the same room, and conditions of listening, in different rooms, Andra3, Vivid G1 spirit, Marten duke2
 bridged Luxman M800 power amps, different amplifiers
 softwares are the last thing I listen to.

Best regards, Nicolas.

1 Like

Please don’t show off, it makes no sense.I can tell what I listen to everyday but that is useless to you, me or anybody else. Most people do not have the ability to try different hardware in their own environment. They have to make a descision on something
and the 1 million dollar question remains, on what exactly? How did you come to the descision to buy your equipment? That’s what I’m interested in, not what you did buy in the end. Show off is the last thing we need. Most of the time descision are made on reviews, opinions of others etc. That makes no sense either because they face the same problem as everyone else. The days of just listening without measured data should be long gone by now.

1 Like

I’d heard my speakers in store and liked them, so when an opportunity came to get some with less than perfect finish for a substantial discount, I took it. I’ve upgraded the tweeters, routed some space around the mids and replaced the inductor in the mid crossover with an 8wg monster from North Creek. They measured OK but I think I just fell in love with the sound to be honest.

1 Like

Nice speakers, pair superbly with Devialet.

As are the fanatically charged measurement only types that can’t help themselves from saving EVERYONE. ASR has a lot of openings :smiley:

Correct, HiFi isn’t difficult per se. Letting people enjoy it apparently is for many.

How important can a difference be that takes the listener two days to perceive?

5 Likes

Well, you were right!

That’s not the point, the point is that if you listen a short while you will be affected by expectation, and think you hear an improvement. But at least for me, that expectation bias is reduced and even removed the longer I listen,

But of course if the difference is very big you can determine it much shorter.

By DEFINITION expectation bias is something you aren’t aware of
 Such claims are untenable.

6 Likes

You can learn to compensate for them, and you will even get verification that your process works when something that first sounded good (due to bias) sounds worse the other day.

I can take an example: I borrowed new speaker cables a while back, connected them and thought wow sound awesome. But the next day they didn’t sound so special, and then I switched back and found that the old ones sounded better. So the initial “wow” was mainly due to expectation bias, but the next day it was more objective listening.

1 Like

If it’s a sighted test you’re just switching your expectations. This has been studied to great length. If you can see or know the configuration change then your listening tests are invalid. That’s how strongly the subconscious controls auditory perception.

4 Likes

I just wish my subconscious had cheaper taste.

13 Likes

In the context of this thread, I agree 100% with @MenloBob’s statement. But of course this doesn’t mean that we can NEVER hear any differences in an A/B comparison if we see or know what we are listening to. Nobody confuses “woof” and “meow” just because he sees a dog and a cat right in front of him. Even if the dog meowed and the cat barked, the difference would still remain easily discernible. Our expectations influence how we perceive the world around us, but of course they aren’t the source of our perceptions. Expectation bias isn’t a mental illness, and it doesn’t cause hallucinations. Our biases mainly result from the (necessary) selectivity of our perception.

7 Likes

It doesn’t

6 Likes

Yours and mine too. :wink: