Recommended high quality router(s)?

A good example of hard work paying dividends.

Youre probably right, I think the sense of humor in some got buried with 1.7.

1 Like

When I redid my LAN, I went with Sonicwall tz400 router and Ruckus R510 AP’s. All my endpoints/core are hardwired through the router.

I have gigabit fiber internet. Been a long time ASUS user but started having troubles with their latest and greatest…I’m close to a half a year now on an all Ubiquiti set up, UDM-Pro, US-8-150w and a UAP-AC-HD. No issues what so ever. Rock solid. No regrets and won’t switch back to consumer WiFi options.

Hi Jason, if you don’t mind sharing, what are your impressions of the UDM-Pro? I’ve seen mixed reviews. On the face of it, features-wise it looks pretty good. I’m using the USG and Cloudkey Gen 1, but the Cloudkey can be a little flaky at times. Goes offline occasionally for no apparent reason, and of course IDS/IPS on the USG limits bandwidth to 85Mb/s, so I was thinking about an upgrade.

The 2 major downsides I perceive are:

• only supports built-in controller
  • limited switch throughput capacity of 1gbps

I’m gonna hold of upgrading my USG until other devices come along that fix the above

1 Like

Hi,
I can’t really advise you on routers, just pick one with enough throughput for your traffic and good software support (and ongoing development if you plan to use upcoming technology).
Take care of what is your backbone for data transfer in your home. This should be a wired network (LAN Ethernet) using well shielded cables and a solid SWITCH. Connect all devices you can to that network. Use the router only for what it is necessary for (connection to the internet and to the wireless devices).
Usually a Gb-switch will do, if the expected traffic is very high you might need a 10Gb-switch like Graeme has.
Cheers
Al

1 Like

Well, I can tell you that it was easy to set up, a bit more involved than a consumer router but nothing too difficult, and has never presented a single issue since it powered up the first time.

Jason I have a UDM-PRO at the work (behind a serious firewall) and besides issues connecting to the unify.com for initial connection (seems to be a common problem picked up on multiple YouTube Videos) it is a great device with oodles of power. Not needed for everyone, but if you run a lot of AP’s its great (besides not being able to turn off NAT, which on a corporate network is inexcusable).

If you need a lot of WiFi capacity, that and the new managed 10Gb switches are a match made in heaven. Some of their new AP’s are actually 10Gb as well with the MIMO feeds, so that might make things really interesting for the next year should more people return to the office.

Thanks Bart. I presume the built-in controller is the same as the existing Cloudkey controller?

My ISP connection is only 370Mbps, so switching capacity of 1Gbps isn’t an issue. The WAN connection on my existing USG goes straight into a Dell X1052P (176Gbps backplane), which does all of the hard work.

Hi Michael, assuming the controller is the same as that built into the Cloudkey, could a Cloudkey backup be restored to the UDM-Pro to migrate all of the network settings?

How did you like Austria?

We loved it. Lived in Neusiedl am See, which was close to my wife’s factory in Breitenbrunn. 15 minutes’ walk from the Neusiedler See. Beautiful countryside, glorious weather, not too far from Vienna and an unlimited supply of great wines on our doorstep!

1 Like

Great to hear! If you are around next time just drop me a line.

1 Like

Graeme no it’s a much more powerful processor and overall rack mount device, but the good news is that yes you can restore a backup from a cloud key onto a UDM or UDM Pro.

The UDM pro also has the camera system and phone system built-in, but it’s key benefit for me in a enterprise environment is the 10Gb with high throughput, which is great for user’s logging in from wireless to VPN as I do not allow internal visitor zone.

I wish I know how to use Unify. But my space ship never fail, 52 devices connected
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-8-Stream-Tri-Band-Router/dp/B08KTWXCZT/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_img_8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JDQ0TZABHNJX3JEY232J

It’s not that difficult to learn how to use Unifi. It’s much easier than configuring normal enterprise networks. I hadn’t a clue when I started with my first AP and Cloudkey. Now have 3 APs, a firewalled VLANed Guest WiFi network and all the port forwarding settings to remotely access my (Synology hosted) IP cameras when away from home. Almost everything is cabled and nearly all devices have fixed IP addresses.

1 Like

So what would an “Ubiquiti” for example give me over a stock sky router? Had no issues whatsoever with the router. For music its directed into Sotm switch and then on.

Are “better” routers just more stable but bring nothing else to the table?

Thanks
Bill

Not quote the same. You can think of the Cloudkey an external controller that allows you to run multiple sites. The UDM (and Pro) will only work with the built-in internal controller. So you can’t manage the site with an external controller (which you run on a separate device). Mostly an issue for people who run multiple sites on a single controller. Or for crazy folks like me who run their controller in the cloud.

But if you limit yourself to a single site, and don’t mind the controller being hosted by the UDM (Pro) itself, then sure, functionality wise it would be very similar. The hardware in the UDM (Pro) is a significant step up, so that’s a nice plus and will enable you to do IDS at acceptable speeds.

The switching capacity is indeed mostly a limiting factor for your internal network if any. Sounds like you have a dedicated switch that does all the heavy lifting, so you’re good on that front. I just mentioned it because people might want to let the UDM Pro do the heavy lifting, which it can’t really.

Hi Bart, one other question, if I may - what functionality does the UDM-Pro offer in respect of Controller backup? With the Cloudkey, internal backups can be saved to an internal Micro-SD. Does the UDM-Pro have a similar facility?

Hi Bill, I’m not sure what you mean by “bring nothing else to the table”. Network gear is designed to make sure TCP/IP packets reach their intended destination intact - nothing more, nothing less.

If you have a busy network with lots of devices, the basic routers supplied by ISPs aren’t the best for the job, which is where the better quality routers come in. Also the better quality routers offer enhanced security features. If you’re having no issues with your network, then you probably wouldn’t benefit from a better router.

There’s certainly no sonic benefit from upgrading your router.

2 Likes