Release 1202<1211<1182 in terms of sound quality. Anyone agree?

Aha… What Roon recommends is Roon Bridge as an endpoint, not Roon Remote with a GUI that uses a lot of processing power and the like. True you are not exposing the DragonFly to what the core is doing, but you are not doing much better by exposing the DragonFly to what the Remote is doing. The idea is that the device connected to the DAC be a relatively calm, electrically quiet device that just takes the PCM stream from the LAN adapter to the USB port. The paradigm Roon Bridge device is headless, not one running Roon’s demanding GUI.

I hear you. This isn’t intended to be a witch hunt about you not having optimal gear if you don’t have it. But do keep in mind you can use a Pi which can cost almost nothing and it will eliminate the theoretical concerns about having your DAC connected to a machine that has significant processing on it. Also, yes Roon supports it, but they don’t recommend it.

Yes my posts were consistent with this. I’m not saying the core encoded the sound of my iphone into the PCM stream. It just RF’d up to the DAC. You’d get a much more virulent response from me if someone were to argue it actually affected the digital stream itself.

I certainly thought it was because it’s pretty hilarious. I don’t know about any science behind sound waves and warm or cold air, humid air etc., but the idea that a warm wire changes the PCM stream is, I hope, pure sarcasm. That’s not to say that potentially telecom gear is affected by weather. But to translate that to electrons sounding better is, I certainly hope, a joke.

Exactly. This course of inquiry is what stopped humans from sacrificing virgins to volcanoes. Otherwise every confluence of events equals cause and effect.

You want to live in an echo chamber?

I do suggest this doesn’t need to get nasty. But yeah, it’s important to call out when someone isn’t thinking logically or scientifically. Maybe you can trust your ears to a certain point. But there still needs to be scientific basis, not pure superstition, for something to be established: How can the shaman talk to the physicist?

1 Like