Reliability of Nucleus or suggestions for alternatives?

Roon Nucleus has extremely poor reliability. My Nucleus+ failed a few weeks after the 2 year warranty expired. It’s unable to connect to the network after a Roon update. Roon charged $500 to replace the motherboard, and the dealer charged $200 for tech supports.

The replacement motherboard also failed after just 1 year and 10 months this Feb. It’s unable to connect to the network after a Roon update, same problem as the original unit. Roon tech support told me the motherboard failed, quoted $800 to replace! I still don’t know what’s the root cause.

My unit is placed in an AV cabinet with good ventilation. It should not fail in such a short time unless it’s built with inferior parts or have fundamental design flaws. From my experience Roon’s hardware has serious reliability and quality issues, and I would not recommend them. Frankly, Roon Server runs so much better on my Mac Studio, My friends running Roon Server on Mac Mini don’t have such issues either, so much for paying a premium price for Roon’s dedicated hardware!

1 Like

Sorry for your woes, I agree that those prices are extortionate for replacing the motherboard.
And they want nearly 4 grand for the base model of the new Titan lol.

If you’re going to get a separate server and not use the Mac, I’d just get a NUC, if you don’t want to do it yourself, get a local independent l store to build one.

ROCK it’s the easiest choice, I prefer to have Debian on mine so I can run Plex too.

2 Likes