Remove “In Their Prime” -- it' ageist, insulting to the artist and ridiculously subjective [not on roadmap]

I hope so, Woko Ono has no place in Roon.

We already have AMG star ratings for albums (which bizarrely roon is going some way to hiding with 1.8). Why do we need this subjective “in their prime” thing pushed to the forefront? Imho it can only serve as reductive towards an artists work.

A simple “highest rated works” would suffice…and please NOT the “most popular” based on roon user listening habits as seems to be the current trend.

1 Like

Radiohead’s prime is easy: it starts a bit before 1992, and ends after 2021.

Lets also remove all “Greatest hits” and “The best of” albums, because they are insulting to the rest of the artist’s work and ridiculously subjective. :slight_smile:
I’m glad this feature request is “not on roadmap”…

It’s unfortunate that the title was chosen like this, because the opening post made good points and so did many others in the thread

It’ll never end.

2 Likes

They are a little bit what could’ve happened to the New Kids on The Block if they’d met Pierre Boulez instead of Maurice Starr, after all…

As for me I like this new section in spite of its controversy.
But… Seriously?

4 Likes

This one is so simple that it hurts: let all the sections be switchable/orderable…

If only the things that are so simple to say would be be simple to do in tech…

This is not a technical issue, it can be done in one or two lines of code (simplistic) or you can complicate it as much as you like. In a normal world will be a business decision, in the roon world it is none of the above…

I’ve seen a lot of complaining about this section not being inclusive enough, but I’d argue that in a lot of cases it’s actually a bit too forgiving… In any event, I enjoy this feature and feel it is operating as it was intended. I am glad it’s sticking around.

2 Likes

It this live now with build 783? :+1: I haven’t checked in a while, but Sonic Youth’s In Your Prime is now 1985-1995 for me, from Bad Moon Rising to Washing Machine, and I suppose this must be based on my now-added local CD rips. Because in Qobuz, the albums before 1990 are still not available.

Edit: I remember now that the years range displayed in the “In your prime” banner already changed previously to 1985-1995 even without local rips, Remove “In Their Prime” -- it' ageist, insulting to the artist and ridiculously subjective [not on roadmap] - #187 by Suedkiez

So the only new obvious change for me is that the newly-added local rips are now included below the banner.

Before, without local rips but after the banner had already changed from the initial 1990-1995 to 1985-1995:

Now with local rips added:

I really like this feature because it gives me a staring point with an artist that I’m unfamiliar with. I hope we don’t lose it.

1 Like