Ripping vinyl, 16Bit 44.1 kHz vs. 24Bit 192kHz

good idea! I’ve been busy with the ADL GT40a already. It’s capable of pretty decent results and I’m using VinylStudio, too. Such a great tool (although a quite oldschool UI). I’m loving the fact that the raw recording is being saved and all the EQ settings are therefore non-destructive. I’m still testing different settings but the results are already very promising!

In response to the why rip the vinyl, if you can imagine every play of the vinyl is going to wear the grove, and stylus too…over many plays this wear adds up and while a stylus can be replaced the grove wear can’t be reversed…so all my most favorite and most played will benefit from digital use for casual listening.

plus, you can play your favorite records through each and every endpoint you might have… not only through your main setup. That way I can achieve one single library through roon. Right now I’m left with one digital library and a vinyl collection.

1 Like

And i can take it with me on the move…:laughing: vinyl in the car…don’t laugh my dad had a big old valiant wagon with a record player in it - 45’s only but that was a hoot in mid 60’s

1 Like

These are the very reasons for the decline of vinyl in the first place, how ironic!
A fun project for the special discs unobtainable in the digital world though.

Enjoy…

How cool is that?! Does this actually work… in a moving car?

in the car it played pretty well…until we got a gravelly potholed road and then as kids we found it a great hoot that to bounced all over the place.

the arm was sprung to pull up against the record stack…yes it was a jukebox and held like 10 singles…below is not the one but yes they did exist!

1 Like

and I’m feeling oldschol already with a tape deck in my car… :slight_smile:

Well, as always there’s something more important to do rather than starting this ripping process (procrastination disease, I guess :blush:)…

Some more question, though: What do you guys think about:

1. applying RIAA curve in VinylStudio. Most of my recordings are newer than the 1954 threshold.
  2. normalize the recordings to, say, -1dB in order to achieving consistent volume.
  3. click/pop filter settings (rather mild, I assume).

Regarding 2): The ADL GT40a is ‘only’ capable of reducing the incoming signal by either 6dB or 12dB, so from time to time 0dB will clip, while -6dB might be a little too low (even though the gain slider in VinylStudio is set to 100).

Good thing with VinylStudio is that you won’t ever loose your original unaltered recording. Time to play, right?

Thanks for any insights!

Reviving this topic, because I want to know it how it stood the test of time? Did you archive in 24 bit? Do you listen to these files with Roon? Thanks, Bill