ROCK from inside-tech

Why are we, users, discussing this? This is really between Inside-Tech and Roon Labs, none of our business.

1 Like

Yeah I have one, works well, don’t really care over and above that.

1 Like

Well in context of the OP’s question, there is the support position to consider. Such a machine would be a MOCK rather than a ROCK, so not a supported configuration (?) If/when these users start complaining about overheating and strange side effects of CPU throttling, ‘who you gonna call’?

That is a shame for those of us that use a fanless case.
Is it “not interesting” in that it is too much work or would it potentially harm Nucleus sales?

I have no where to put a NUC in my house that is away from my hi-fi set up in the living room, because of this there is no way that I would use a standard NUC with a fan and I am not in a position to purchase a Nucleus (as much as I would like to).

1 Like

I can’t speak for Danny but while you wait for his reply, I would guess it’s both…

Playing armchair COO (always fun, and usually wrong), by picking two models of NUC for Nucleus (7th Gen BN models) they can spend time (money) on optimising performance things more. Danny already mentioned power management above, working with Intel. I would guess that level of work (if necessary with other NUC models… maybe not as much power management work required with DN models, as discussed above) would be too much, with every ROCK supported NUC model. The list of ROCK supported NUC models will grow over time.

Your other comment about sales: Danny has already said in this thread that “Nucleus is an important income source for our company.”

I don’t want to corner Danny on that comment because the more Nuclei they sell and more income they generate from Nuclei sales, the more money they have to spend on making Roon better me and for all of us (even us that don’t have a Nucleus). That’s a good thing for all of us I reckon. The more money he makes, the quicker (I hope) some of the crap things about Roon can get fixed/improved ! Said in good fun of course.

I give credit to Danny for giving out ROCK for ‘free’. And I don’t blame him for drawing a line between ROCK and Nucleus, for above reasons.

Something I didn’t mention above but might be helpful to others… the 15W TDP 8th Gen NUC7i7DN is pretty quiet in it’s stock Intel NUC case (with fan) by the way, especially compared to the NUC7i7BNH (which is inside the Nucleus Plus)…

You might hear the fan during library import and background audio analysis or the heaviest of Roon DSP… but after library import and if you just leave background audio analysis on throttle, she’s pretty quiet (I found), again especially compared to the NUC7i7BNH…

Maybe that’s helpful to someone.

1 Like

The page has been changed in the last 24 hours. It did indeed state that “Roon comes pre-installed”.

Now it states

“All you have to do is run the included USB stick, add your music files, internet radio streams or content from compatible music streaming services and you are ready to go.”

So it sounds as though Inside-Tech are now intending to ship a USB stick containing ROCK along with the hardware.

I’m not a lawyer, but isn’t this still redistribution of the software? Under the Roon T&C, the customer must download ROCK from Roon Labs directly, I think…

1 Like

Perhaps they realised it couldn’t be preinstalled. I don’t think it’s malicous.

You’d have thought they’d check the T&Cs of the software they are bundling before taking people’s money though right ?

Hey bud that was good post, why’d you delete it?

1 Like

Ha, sometimes I reply to stuff but then I anticipate the kind of replies that will give me a headache. Then decide I’d rather not have a headache today and delete it. Not replies from you of course mate.

But maybe that post didn’t deserve a delete.

I’ll un-delete it but if I end up getting a headache :weary:, it’s on you ! :grin:

2 Likes

Oh shoot, now I’m feeling the pressure :grin:

2 Likes

See it isn’t a question of being ‘malicious’. It’s riding on the coattails of someone else’s work to sell a product. That’s why there are copyright laws, etc.

It’s why someone couldn’t call a new OS , ‘Microsurf’, e.g.

If it’s true that they are supplying Roon on a USB stick without Roon’s permission and using that as a benefit for buying their device (which still seems to be a violation), then they are disingenuously cheating.

Anyway, @Dick_Vliek has a point. This is now between Roon and Inside-Tech.

He must be very busy :sleeping::sleeping:

1 Like

The latter. As stated before, the decision to give out ROCK for free was a calculated segmentation designed to not overlap the market with the upcoming Nucleus product.

Was busy tinkering today.

1 Like

IO just realized thsi is an ancient thread and is actually focused on a product of questionable legality. But anyway, i think my post says “and that product is not needed”.

My quad core i5 NUC8 with a fan never makes any noise at all. The fan, from what i can hear, never comes on. That said i don’t stream 4 zones of DSP either.

By the way, i5s typically run cooler than i7s - at least in older laptops a LOT cooler.