ROCK Performance vs Windows 10 on Intel NUC 8i3BEH

Of Windows 10? What does that license cost?

I only use the Enterprise edition of Windows. It still gets all the updates including feature updates, unless you manage it with WSUS etc. You can defer for longer but they all show up eventually.

I have never gotten a feature update. I am also using LTSC. My version has no store, no Cortana, no edge browser.

FWIW the most stable period I had with my Windows Home box was when I spammed the “pause updates” button and pushed all updates back 30+ days.

I use a Nucleus, but the reason has nothing to do with performance.
I’m all about simplicity.
No flaws in Windows, but it is designed as a multi-purpose platform, as is MacOS, and I think we will move away from them.
I discussed this a couple of years ago:

OK, that’s why you have had no feature update then. The ‘normal’ Enterprise version gets everything on the semi-annual channel.

Hi, I have tested both environments with a NUC 10th generation. The reason to do that is because the Price amount to have the latest generation with the 8th generation is not that much. Made the installation of ROC and the network drivers are not the latest ones. This impact directly in the performance because I was accesing from a NAS using SMB protocols. My library has 200K+ somgs with different resolutions, and has very Good tagging and pictures already.

Restoring time from the Backup in the NUC + time to anylize all the tracks was 8 days. In Windows took 3. For accesing and DSP perspective, having the 8 GB RAM and the SSD disk in the ROC, has trhe same performance in Windows. Downsise is that in Windows you need 16 GB RAM

Wow this is a disappointing thread.

I just ordered all the components to build an i7 NUC for ROCK. I assumed this would be the simplest AND most performant way of running a core. I currently use a 2011 i5 Mac Mini for Roon Server and find the performance (browsing/skipping tracks/etc) way to sluggish.

Am I to understand that if I care most about performance rather than convenience, I should actually be running Roon Server on Windows 10 on the NUC?

I still can’t quite believe that.

Any advice/guidance warmly received.

Thanks

Nick

I went back to ROCK the differences were so small it made no odds and the other benefits outweighed them in the end. You’ll be fine with the nuc you bought and ROCK.

Nick it’s a different thing if you are running the machine as a daily pc. DotNet on Windows is more mature than Linux and Mac, so more optimisation has probably happened.

I moved my pc from Windows 10 to an identical NUC running Rock, because Windows sometimes got in the way. I might launch a VPN or Windows update ran or my AV kicked in and it became an inconvenience. Rock had just worked like a dream for the last year or so, and my windows pc still does it’s job perfectly as well.

It’s rarely about pure speed, but about the right tool for the right job, and for different people there is a different solution to the same problem.
Many happy Windows, Mac, Linux and Rock user’s. Make your choice and change it of you want to try a different os.

Mike

Are you looking to run any other applications on the NUC? Do you need to it as a General purpose computing platform, while running Roon Core in the background?

If not, then no need for a General purpose computing OS and just dedicate the NUC to running Roon OS for the provision of Roon Core in an embedded environment running as a headless server.

Given you have bought an i7 NUC for this job, you must have several 100k tracks and lots of endpoints running DSP simultaneously.

Just an update for anyone else going through the same issues.

I successfully installed ROCK last night. It was much easier than I expected, even with a few missteps at the BIOS stage.

So far I am very impressed and very happy. My browsing and track skipping (both Tidal and Library) is now instantaneous, even whilst I was importing my main library to the internal storage (approx 100k).

I know this path may not be for everyone, but if this continues to be my user experience I’ll be very satisfied with ROCK.

Thanks

4 Likes