rooDial a Wireless Volume Knob for Roon with Microsoft Surface Dial

@DrCWO

After a couple of weeks or so of untroubled performance with RooDial, I’ve encounter a frustrating problem. About 3 times over the past few days, the Dial loses control of volume when I launch my iPad Roon client. I can pause and restart tracks but the volume function disappears until I reboot the RPi 0, which restores this control feature.

Any ideas to address this issue? Thanks!

I am also having trouble with pairing to the Surface Dial. I have followed your steps but still no luck. Turning off all BT devices is far from a trivial matter so i may have missed something. I tried the procedure a good way from any devices but with wifi connection and still no luck.
Are there any more steps i can take? All the steps up to pairng the dial have gone well. Although your youtube set up video does not mention V2.0 and i am not sure how to confirm all is working if/when i am able to pair the dial.

Do I understand it correct that you can stop and play by pressing the dial but turning the dial the volume don’t operate any more?

Yes, that is correct, unless I reboot the RPi 0, which restores the ability to control volume by turning the dial.

There may be some reasons:

• Have you paired the device with someone else but the Raspberry Pi before. If so unpair it with his device first, turn off this device, then remove batteries and retry.
  • Enter new batteries, those shipped with the MS Surface Dial are often exhausted.
  • Connect a power supply that gives more power to the Pi Zweo W, with 2A or 3A.

If you are unlucky you got a defective Dial. All that has been seen before.

Hope This helps
Best DrCWO

Not paired before, bought the dial and Pi just for this project.
Tried new batteries and more powerful supply for Pi. Still light flashes on surface dial so presumably not pairing.
Is there a way to test the system is working on V2.0? On your original version there was an indication within the Roon extension tab to indicate a working connection according to the video guide?
My dial is a model 1756 2WR-00002 will this make any difference?

I have just been reading the release notes and it appears i may need to buy a license prior to connecting the dial? Could this be why it is not working? The youtube video suggested the dial could be connected with limited functionality (letters indicating commands on roon extension page) prior to buying a license. Can you confirm.

Jeremy,
you CAN test the functionality before buying the license!

In the License Manager there is a switch to hide unlicensed Roon Extensions that is set by default. If you uncheck this rooDial will start and you can see if the Dial is connected and working. Please try.

You have to know that the Surface Dial pairs with rooDial. If this is not running because it is hidden, pairing can never be successful!

Many thanks, it seems to be working now. I will get the license and report back soon.

1 Like

Further observation on my issue with RooDial. Today when I started Roon, the Dial was completely unresponsive to any gesture (pressing or turning) even though when I go to Extensions in Settings I can see the notifications (P, L, R) change when I press or turn. No effect on playback pause, start or volume, however.

Also, I now have 3 distinct licensed instances of RooDial 1.4 showing up under Extensions.

This should have been fixed in the latest hotfix. Please download v2.0.2 of rooExtend and retry.

OK, will do and will report back. Thanks. Any ideas about the responsiveness issue?

If more instances are running this is a problem. Please try and report

I’ve re-flashed 2.0.2 (though it reads as 2.0.1 in Roon Extensions) and the multiple instances have disappeared. But now, the Dial won’t pair at all…it keeps flashing but does not connect.

EDIT: I’ve rebooted the RPi 0 several times now and Dial (with fresh batteries) will still not connect

@DrCWO Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, these did not work. I would suggest there is a Surface Dial related bug here given others reporting the same. I see there is a new build so I’ll try that and report back. Sorry for the delay I’ve been away from my system.

If you are having issues pairing I would suggest a usb bt dongle - plug it into the pi and try that.

My pi 3b just would not connect with the built in - bit the usb dongle paired the dial in seconds.

Cheers

Matt

1 Like

Now licensed and working. There is a little latency presumably so the dial can ‘wake up’ before sending any commands to Roon? I find a small twist and count to 2 is enough time for it to start working.
Thanks for all the assistance getting it working.

@DrCWO or others. I am using rooDial with my setup and really like it. This is with ROON and no upsampling. If I upsample in ROON the the DSP Volume option is no longer available, which seems to kill the rooDial option. So I thought I should try a computer that runs ROON and HQPlayer with HQP doing the upsampling, but I get the same issue - in the HQP settings in ROON there is no option for DSP Volume. So my question is, if I upsample anywhere within the stream does it mean I can’t use rooDial? I may try ROON on one computer and HQP on another, but fear I will hit the same sad conclusion.

DJD,
I wonder what you are doing that DSP volume got disabled. Here you see my signal path:

As you see I play a 44.1kHz FLAC. After Some headroom adjustment I need for my FIR filters (XO and DRC) I do a sample rate conversion to 192kHz. At the end you see Roon DSP volume.

My physical setup is a Raspberry Pi 4 with rooExtend with Roon Bridge enabled and licensed rooDial controlling DSP volume. The Pi is connected to my ADI-2 Pro Fs R Sound interface via USB.

Please let me now what your setup is and maybe I can help.

Best DrCWO

1 Like

Thank you for getting back to me. I am very encouraged to see that upsampling should work with the rooDial. I will go back and check all my settings and see if I can spot the issue. If I can’t figure it out I’ll send some images.

Thanks

1 Like