Roon 1.4 - Radio Feedback

I’ve merged your post into the existing feedback topic and also tagged @support to ensure that will see it.

I am experiencing this as well (sort of). Last weekend I used the inspector to focus on the “Pop” genre (using the artists menu). I unfocused the sub-genres “Psych-Pop” and “Folk-Pop” because my kids don’t like it. I started playback with “Radio”. I listened to music for a couple of hours. It started quite random but very quickly I found out that artists like Peter Gabriel, Mike Oldfield, Genesis, David Bowie, Billy Joel where played very, very often (see screenshots below)

grafik
grafik

The focus set above resulted in approx. 90 artists but I had the impression only 10 to 15 artists where used to generate the playlist. I am not very happy with this.

While typing this post I tried a few things and found out that my above mentioned selection (focus) excluded all my compilations because the performers of compilations (=various artists) are not listed in the artist menu. In my case it probably makes more sense to focus within the album menu.

The information posted by @mike

points out that I probably misunderstood the “Radio” functionality in the first place.

On the other hand I still don’t understand why two tracks of Herbie Hancock’s “Fat Albert Rotunda” (genre: Jazz) album have been added to the playlist.

I’m new to Roon, so learning still. Today I wanted to show to a couple of my friends & family the Radio action. I have some playlists of “Christmas music”, mostly underneat pop genre and combined from several different CD’s from various artists (Jessica Simpson, Gloria Estefan, Michael Buble, Michael Bolton, etc.). After the selected playlist stopped / ended, I was assuming Roon to pick up similat music from some other playlists. Instead we heard hard rock from Ozzy Osbourne… Quite a turn off. I don’t even have him in my library.

When I tried forwarding for the next song, the Radio actually lost its focus completely. At least for none in the room it made any sense to combine the songs it played. Some “softer” music (Dire Straits, Chris Rea, etc.) and every third or fourth song again heavy hard rock. I don’t understand this at all.

Roon doesn’t reach out into the ether to get songs, it plays what’s in your library, so that Ozzy track probably exists somewhere in your library eg a compilation.

How consistent are your genre tags for similar music in your library? If you’ve a small selection that matches the seed album or track it’s going to have to do outside of that selection in your library

Thanks for the reply. I checked my library on my NAS - no Ozzy there. Not even on any of the compilations. I had a search in my Roon for Ozzy and it claims that in my library (not Tidal, my library) I have “Blizzard of Ozz” - album. Again checked my NAS - no such file / folder exists. And honestly - I would’ve recalled, if I had any such album. It’s not too long ago, when I re-ripped all my albums to FLAC.

Regarding genre tags - I am a bit of “too organised” and for example my Christmas music (that is now the first genre I’m having a closer look as being new to Roon) is always with tag “Christmas” and sometimes also with “Christmas pop”, “Christmas rock” or “Christmas Finnish”, etc. But always with a tag “Christmas”. When I checked the Ozzy’s record mentioned above, it had the tags “Album Rock”, “British Metal”, “Hard Rock”, “Heavy Metal”, “Neo-classical Metal” and “Pop/Rock”. I think this is quite far from “Christmas”…

Really weird. Need to work more on this. I think I’ll make a work-around first by combining these all into a single or max 2 playlists and then have a look later, how to proceed.

If the Ozzy track played, then it should be in your History - and you can use this to track it down and see where it’s hiding…

Yep. Studying… I also noted that I was not knowing, what I stated above about the Tags. I missed it with genre’s that I used when I ripped the files. Now need to learn, hot to Tag the music in Roon.

This is a pretty old thread referencing V1.4 of Roon…we are now on 1.5 for many months now. perhaps this recent lot of posts needs to to be moved to keep up with the times.