Roon 2.0 Security - Consent matters to me

Hi, @Tom_Moore1

I don’t know how much of a security risk 2.0 poses because roonlabs hasn’t given us any information about how it handles security. I don’t know, for example, if installing 2.0 but “setting the ARC port to 0” removes all possible vulnerabilities despite claims being made on the forum.

You can stay on 1.8, but will be prompted to update to 2.0 whenever you run a remote.

You can install a special version of 1.8 core and remotes (called 1.8 build 1126 “production1x”) that will not prompt you to go to 2.0 when you run remote. (It’s also refered to as “roon (Legacy)”). This might be a good thing to install since it’s easy to accidentally let the 2.0 upgrade install itself and then your dad’s old machine might not work with the upgrade, assuming that’s why you talked about him shifting to a newer machine.

roonlabs says they will keep 1.8 build 1126 available along with 2.0, but won’t support it after the end of the year, so no updates, bug fixes, and so on. See this article for instructions or this thread for a discussion of it.

- Eric

1 Like