Roon and qobuz, how (well) do they integrate?

That’s correct I guess you’re “renting the product” and the artiste gets a (very) small contribution for each play, stop paying the rent and the product is withdrawn. Roon will not have access and streaming of Qobuz will no longer be available. Roon software is very clever, if for any reason Qobuz is not available then streaming stops, on reconnection your streaming library is available pretty much immediately.

Not exactly, playback speed, in my experience, is unaffected. However poor internet network connections tend to cause streaming/playback to stop or get interrupted with various error messages (problems with your LAN can have similar effects).
These issues would affect any streaming service of course.

1 Like

Thanks again, @Larry_Post.

Would I be likely to experience dropouts before an app or service like Ping Plotter detected them?

I understand the extra step of Qobuz using a CDN.

Again, all understood, Paul. Thanks so much!

I can see that the best course of action is for me to go for the (free) three months’ trial of Qobuz.

I got six months’ free with Apple Music when PrimePhonic ‘closed’. But I find searching there for Classical music so frustrating that I wouldn’t mind starting a paid subscription with Qobuz even before those six months are up.

Unless, wonder of wonders, Apple really does come out with something as good as PrimePhonic.

Even then, I suspect that Qobuz’s Classical selection may well be larger than PrimePhonic’s was!

It’s really good to know that Roon handles this all as well as you say it does. Thanks again!

I’ve been using Qobuz with Roon for years, I can’t tell that that are two different sources of content, (my files vs Qobuz). Perfect

1 Like

Thanks, Bruno!

The replies of everyone here have clinched it for me. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

I don’t want to be a fly in the ointment, but of late there have been issues in the way Roon interacts with Qobuz, resulting in Qobuz content disappearing from Roon libraries. It does eventually re-populate, so best not to go trying to fix things if it happens… just exercise patience.

In general, they are a great combo, but it is far from perfect.

1 Like

Thanks, Mark. That’s good to know. Has either Roon or Qobuz commented? Diagnosed? What might that be dependent on?

I believe both parties are working to resolve it, but is not yet solved… if you look through this Qobuz category on these forums you will see a number of threads highlighting the issue…

1 Like

I have zero issues with Roon and Qobuz+Tidal.

1 Like

Great… glad to hear it.

1 Like

Mark,

So it seems sporadic. Thanks. I haven’t started my trial with Qobuz yet. Probably a good idea, then, to see how well it works first.

Tor,

I shall find out when I start my trial :slight_smile: .

Not having used Qobuz, there’s still something I don’t understand, please. When Mark refers to:

… Qobuz content disappearing from Roon libraries…

does any/do all recordings on Qobuz which you listen to in Roon stay in your Roon library indefinitely once you have selected them on Qobuz - with the proviso referred to earlier in this thread that they will/do disappear from Roon if you stop subscribing to Qobuz?

I think - and please forgive me because I haven’t yet tried… that’s part of why I’m so grateful for everyone’s answers here while I’m evaluating - I’m probably actually asking whether there is a moment when the act of streaming something on Qobuz equates to ‘saving’ it in Roon?

If you add albums from Qobuz or Tidal to Roon (you are actually not moving them to local library), hence if you stop subscribing to Qobuz (or Tidal); all albums connected to this streaming service will not be available anymore. This should not come as a surprise, if you need the albums forever you need to buy the albums (can also be done on both Qobuz and Tidal), and add them as local content to Roon.

2 Likes

Thanks, Tor!

Yes, I understand the model now. But I’m still not sure what constitutes ‘add[ing] albums’ for a streaming service.

Can I both/either: listen to a stream ‘in’ Roon ‘on’/‘from’ Qobuz and/or actually add it to my (Roon) library?

In other streaming services I have used like PrimePhonic and Apple Music, it’s possible just to listen to an album (etc) as it is streamed from their servers.

Is that also possible in Roon+Qobuz - so that you have to take one step further in order actually to add it to the Library?

In Roon you can handle the albums in a common way regardless if they are in a streaming service or locally. You can of course also listen to them without adding to library (adding to library is not doing any actual copy, it is just available for you to easier find next time).

Example. The Qobuz albums I have added to my library (they are still streamed from Qobuz)

Alternatively you can look directly in the streaming service (Qobuz) from Roon:

And even more useful; Roon Radio suggest stuff based on all streaming services attached (which will lead to you finding a lot of albums and artists you would never else have known).

Also search; it search locally (library) + streaming services. The entire world of music available at your fingertips.

Look at adding streaming material to your library as favorites (they will be marked as such in the corresponding streaming service as well)

Hence playback of streaming material (Qobuz or Tidal); makes it possible to use the magic of Roon to playback material from the streaming services directly. With the benefit of RAAT (Roon Ready endpoints) and the massive amount of metadata available.

In the Home section of Roon you also have something exciting called “New releases for you” across all streaming services.

1 Like

Tor,

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to explain this so clearly - and for illustrating what you so kindly show me with screenshots.

In fact, it convinces me more than ever that the integration between Roon and Qobuz is well thought out.

Significantly, I can see how so much more is possible than I imagined a few days ago.

(As a matter of interest, do you ever use the Qobuz app?)

I shall be starting my trial now :slight_smile:

Many thanks, too, to everyone who has contributed to this thread… what a wonderful community!

1 Like

I use the Qobuz app for buying albums, and also on my phone when listening to music when away from home.

1 Like

Small add on on the excellent resume by Tor just above, by adding a track or an album to your library you can add personalised tags and you can also “heart” you favourite tracks, in your library you’ll have also a counter of how many times you played tracks.

To create playlists tracks can be indifferently in your library or not.

Cheers

1 Like

Hello,

I am using Roon & Qobuz for nearly 2 years and it’s a great pleasure using them.
I have KEF wireless LS II and ifi hip-dac for my headset and it works perfectly.

Enjoy

1 Like

Got it, Tor. So shall I - for buying :slight_smile: