Roon ARC not working with Deutsche Glasfaser likely due to CG-NAT

Hi everyone,

Given some time has passed, the team is working to provide updates to all ARC users affected by IPv6 / CG-NAT.

Development continues to make progress on mechanisms to allow for port forwarding / UPnP autoconfiguration to function with an external IPv6 address. While we don’t have a firm timeline for release, the possibility of ARC functioning out-of-the-box for networks with common implementations of CG-NAT ticks closer to reality.

We’ll continue to post updates here. Thank you again for your patience.

2 Likes

Danke für die Information.

1 Like

How far are we now in February 2023 ? Given I cannot connect to ROON ARC still when using my ISP (Vodafone Germany) provided FritzBox 6591 which has a static IPv4 from my ISP (I have a business account ?

Hi @Michael_M,

We’re making steady progress internally with IPv6 compatibility with Roon ARC and expect this should resolve a wide swathe of CG-NAT-related issues. We don’t have an anticipated release date yet and can’t confirm it will resolve every situation.

However, if you have a dedicated external IPv4 address and still can’t configure port forwarding, then there’s likely a resolvable issue. Most users with Vodafone business-tier accounts have been able to connect.

What diagnostic message is displayed in Roon → Settings → ARC? We’ll split your post into a dedicated thread and troubleshoot accordingly from there.

1 Like

Hi @connor Thanks for your answer ! Yes I have got a dedicated external IPv4 and still cannot configure port forwarding. I have spoken several times to Vodafone Germany and they claim the fault is not on their side. As mentioned I have an ISP provided FritzBox 6591. Vodafone says, they have provided me with a dedicated “dual stack” (not dual stack lite). They claim, I need to perhaps configure my Fritzbox using Dyn DNS. However, as I am not so very sophisticated in configuring, because I still want to preserve my cyber security, I am now at the end of my knowledge what to do. I appreciate your help therefore.

Here is the error message I still get from ROON ARC as of today - mind you - I have tried everything above:
{
“connectivity”: {“status”:“NetworkError”,“status_code”:502,“error”:“error: Error: write EPROTO 140333799868224:error:1408F10B:SSL routines:ssl3_get_record:wrong version number:…/deps/openssl/openssl/ssl/record/ssl3_record.c:332:\n, response code: undefined, body: undefined”},
“external_ip”: {“actual_external_ip”:“24.aaa.bbb.ccc”,“actual_external_ipv6”:“2a02:8106:24d:c000:56b2:3ff:fe9c:4191”,“router_external_ip”:“null”},
“natpmp_autoconfig”: {“status”:“NotFound”},
“upnp_autoconfig”: {“server_ip”:“192.168.178.1”,“found_upnp”:true,“error”:“<?xml version=\"1.0\"?>\n <s:Envelope xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/\” s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/\“>\n<s:Body>\n<s:Fault>\ns:Client\nUPnPError\n\n<UPnPError xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:control-1-0">\n718\nConflictInMappingEntry\n\n\n</s:Fault>\n</s:Body>\n</s:Envelope>”}
}

Thanks for your help.

PS: I stil think I am at the point which @Maarten_Duits mentions above, but I do not know how to turn off Ipv6 and Vodafone claims, this does not need to be done.

I have to also add something: I do not yet have installed Deutsche Glasfaser in my home yet. According to Deutsche Telekom, they will introduce it for my home in summer 2023 ! I therefore still use my “old” FritzBox 6591 with cable and Vodafone Germany, but I am willing to switch to a FritzBox 6690 or whatever (including a switch of the ISP from Vodafone to Deutsche Telekom) in case that’s necessary. Although I also would have to reinstall my whole network with many repeaters etc. , so all that would be quite a hassle. It would therefore be nice to work as mentioned above “just simply with a business account with Vodafone Germany and whatever configuration”…

Hi @Michael_M,

Please accept our apologies for the lapse.

Dual stack allows IPv6 and IPv4 format addresses to run in parallel on your network. Vodafone is correct that you shouldn’t need to disable IPv6 in order for an IPv4-format server on your network to communicate externally using an IPv6 WAN address on the router. However, ARC won’t function in a mixed IPv4 and IPv6 network without careful implementation, and the diagnostics indicate your router still has an active IPv6 external address assigned.

The good news is, in the time since our last message here, we’ve been testing IPv6 compatibility. So, within the next few releases, ARC may start functioning out-of-the-box with autoconfiguration on your network.

We’ll be keeping an eye on this thread to provide support, but please paste any updated diagnostics from Roon → Settings → ARC in the meantime if you’re still attempting to get ARC to function. Thank you!

A post was split to a new topic: ARC w/ Deutsche Glasfaser Timeout w/ IPv6