Roon better with Bluesound or Sonos?

There are some fundamental,differences between Sonos and RAAT-based endpoints (eg Roon controlled and using their protocol) that perhaps should be noted as part of any new system design or selection. [My Sonos experience, all pre-Roon: Connect, Play 1, Play 3, Play 5, Playbar (orig)].

• Sonos has broader support of radio and streaming options than does Roon at this time. If you want to listen again to the BBC for example, Sonos is a good choice for this.
  • Sonos (at least historically) limited access to a finite number of tracks (indexing is limited by hardware designed years ago). In my case, just past 40k was the limit of tracks: no new music after this.
  • Sonos does not support hi-res files, to my knowledge.

I am converting all of my remaining Sonos nodes to RAAT endpoints as soon as I can, despite the Internet radio issue.

2 Likes

Converting to what type of end points? Why, because of your third point, hi-res playback?
Rob.

1 Like

I am using Raspberry Pi 3 with SPD/F out boards, because I am using external DACs etc. It is completely your choice of device though. I am choosing to stay as much as possible in the Roon world, as I believe it to be a richer and better experience, and thus I am phasing out my Sonos hardware. If I were choosing new wireless speakers (eg Sonos or Bluesound hardware), I would definitely go Bluesound if for no other reason of convenience (easily group zones etc). I canā€™t comment on sound comparisons.

My points about Sonos were intended to remind people that strictly from the Sonos system perspective (using the Sonos app etc) that there are disadvantages, despite its plug and play setup.

1 Like

Thanks Rob!

FYI, for now, I am looking at Flex or Play-1 for the kitchen and soundbar for the living room. I have a HTPC connected to my AVR in a separate room for ā€œseriousā€ listening. My wife and kids will be using this, so reliable and easy to use are important. It sounds like I might get more reliability from the Bluesound due to its RAAT support, but more user friendly (and more streaming options) with Sonos?

Got my hands on a Sonos Play-1 and Bluesound Pulse Mini today. Got Roon installed on my QNAP TS-653A NAS. Itā€™s been a fun couple of hours. :hugs:

General observations - Roon is every bit as wonderful as people have been saying. :+1: :smiley:

Blusound clearly wins on the hardware side, and Sonos wins on the software side. So far, my decision between the two is not feeling any easier. :thinking:

Iā€™ll share more detail on my experience after Iā€™ve spent a few more hours with them.

2 Likes

Look forward to your report, been trying to decide on one or the other here, too.
leaning toward bluesound miniā€¦

If you have Roon the software is almost irrelevant in my view.
BluOS is simple to set up and other than linking the zones if your not using Roon, (I use Tune In Radio on Presets and a TV optical input here) is not really relevant. Once the MQA recognition in Roon issue is sorted.

The other thought is that I do not expect the BluOS software to stand still. Why would it?

My advice would be to go for the best hardware or you will be disappointed later, unless of course, your not.

Choices choicesā€¦ Chris

1 Like

If it were just for my use, I would completely agree you! But, my wife will also use the system and she uses different music services. So, she will be using the native app of whichever system I go with. After just a short use, the Sonos app just feels so much easier - and visually appealing.

3 Likes

Hi Edward,

Let us know your thoughts if you come to any conclusion :slight_smile: I am still undecided as to what to do in the future.
The only certain thing for me is that I love Roon above all else :slight_smile:
Best
Yiannis

As mentioned, I got to test a Play-1 and a Pulse mini side by side.

Not really much I can say comparing sound since 1 was a $199 speaker and the other a $499 speaker. I will say the Play-1 held its own, and I preferred its sound character. If it was a Play-2 or 3, I suspect I may have preferred its sound.

Overall, Roon is awesome with both devices and I really canā€™t imagine being disappointed with either. I decided to order a Bluesound Flex, with the Soundbar to follow.

When I transferred music to the Sonos zone, about 50% of the time the connection dropped. Pressed the play button, and it always resumed instantly. Never had this happen when switching to the Bluesound zone.

I like how, when switching from Roon the Bluesound app they stay in sync in terms of showing whatā€™s now playing. This was not the case with Sonos app. Also, the Bluesound app has a button to launch Roon.

From Roon, I had no problem playing my 24/192 and 5.1 FLAC files to both devices (of course, Roon downsampled when playing to the Sonos). As we know, the native Sonos app wonā€™t play hi-res, but the Bluesound app will.

I was able to group the Flex with my HDMI output on my NAS. Not so with the Sonos.

The Sonos app on my iPad is more intuitive, looks nicer, and supports more streaming services. These are big pluses for my wife, who I expect will primarily use the deviceā€™s app, rather than Roon.

As far as I could tell, the Bluesound app did not allow me to simultaneously search my library and Tidal. The Sonos app does.

The Flex has an option to add a battery. No such option for the Sonos. Iā€™d like to be able to bring my speaker outside, so this is a plus.

I ran Roon on a QNAP TS-653A NAS. There is a split second pause when changing screens. Iā€™m assuming this is because the NAS is a little underpowered - itā€™s a Celeron CPU with only 2gb. Still, I found Roon perfectly usable, and the setup of Core on the QNAP was quick and straightforward (I did install on an old 3gb/s SSD drive I had lying around).

It was a close call for me. Either is viable choice. Roon is awesome.

Last noteā€¦ I just learned Roon supports Squeezebox. I have a Squeezebox radio, but canā€™t get Roon to detect it. Iā€™m going to have to fiddle around some more.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your impressions Edward, much appreciated :slight_smile:

FYI I am having the same problem with transferring zones to Sonos. Roon disconnects and I have to press play again for the music to start. Works fine after that but it shows how much more stable Roon ready devices are.

Enjoy the new speakers

1 Like

Have you enabled Squeezebox support in settings? If so, it should pop up as anetwork attached endpoint in your Audio Setupā€¦

1 Like

I have. Thanks! Gonna try some more troubleshooting right now.

Agreed! Still, itā€™s close and I would certainly say Roon is pretty sweet enhancement even for someone using Sonos devices.

1 Like

Just a quick follow up on the sonos vs bluesound (vs other solutions)ā€¦ After a lot of testing using sonos speakers, the sonos connect, a mini PC (roonbridge) and a Bluesound Flex, I am slowly gravitating towards using a mixture of bluesound and Roonbridge endpoints. The sonos will be gradually moved on (reluctantly).

The big tipping point for me is usability and flexibility that Roon offers. Sonosā€™ sound flavour is preferable to my ears (against the Bluesound Flex) but the ecosystem it is super restrictive. I can use them with Roon but of course they will not group with non sonos end points. I like to sync endpoints around the house so sticking with Sonos means I have to have only Sonos.

Last but not least, the recent ā€˜forcedā€™ Sonos privacy policy changes are a bit worrying. I am slightly uncomfortable with voice controlled speakers around the house listening and collecting dataā€¦

Soā€¦ Bluesound and Roon Bridge for me as well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wait till you hear device further up the Bluesound range. I have a Pulse 2 and Pulse Mini and am continually impressed.

1 Like

Cheers Chris :slight_smile:

That is the plan once I spending a bit of time with the Flex. I am syncing 3 end points (including the Flex) and plan on adding a 4th in the future. If the Flex proves to be as reliable and stable as Sonos then the next step will defintely be a pulse mini or even the 2.

1 Like

If you could get a home demo you may not want to wait. The Bluesound Hi Res and MQA support is a valuable piece of future proofing as well.
I am planing on getting a flex for the smallest room but am practising delayed gratification at the moment.
This has been an expensive but rewarding year.
Roon lifetime, QNAP NAS and best quality drives with backup and UPS, Pulse 2 followed by Pulse Mini and I still buy CDā€™s as well as Tidal. Also my Meridian Explorer 2.
The big spend was the Ā£2.00 Russ Andrews Yellow mains lead from the Car Boot Sale. That was the last straw lol Chris :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking of getting a new Roon endpoint for the bathroom. I would go for the Bluesound Pluse Flex because I have one in my system already but the Flex doesnā€™t seem to be designed for damp places like the Sonos Play 1. Iā€™m thinking about using the Flex in the bathroom anyway. It will not get wet directly but it will get steamy from showers and damp from clothes drying. Have anybody tried using the Flex in a bathroom? Any advice?
If I go for the Sonos Play 1 will the physical buttons on top control playback in Roon?

weā€™re loving our bluesound pulse minis and powernode 2 and node 2; all excellent quality, build and sound.