Roon Bridge for ARM: a beginner’s guide to Raspberry Pi and Cubox-i

I don’t think the roon bridge can run on pi zero.

3 Likes

Missed that one but the Wiz is right: Pi zero = ARMv6, Roon Bridge needs ARMv7 upwards to run.

4 Likes

Hello! I’m preparing to install Roon Bridge on two Raspberry PIs, one with a DIGI+ Pro HAT and one with a DAC Pro HAT.

I haven’t read all five years of this thread (!), so I’m sorry if I’ve missed the answer to this question, but I’d like to know your current thinking on the best OS to install on the PIs. Is it still Raspbian Jessie lite? What about HiFiBerry.org’s HiFiBerryOS? That would have been my choice, since it seems tailor-made for this purpose, but I’d welcome any alternate advice.

Thanks!

RoPieee. It is a purpose compiled OS for Roon Bridge that has everything you need, including specific support for your HATs. If you want them to do more then the XL version of Ropieee allows them to work with other formats. The Author of RoPieee is contactable on these pages so support is not far away. Download, put on SD card, boot, configure and play.

8 Likes

I flashed my first Pi with RoPiee last night and wow! What a smooth and effortless process! It was easier than setting up ROCK on the Intel NUC. This is what I had thought the RoonLabs download would be, to be honest.

Tonight I’ll repeat the process for the DIGI2 Pi, and I’m looking forward to that working just as well. I’ll be sending a double contribution to Harry for sure.

6 Likes

Love Roon, Love Pi, have setup several end-points about the home, and use a Pi 4 for one of my desktop systems -
Question I can’t seem to find an answer for - re: ALSA
I have one end-point I’d like to disable the Exclusive Access to ALSA that Roon has
(in order to play other notifications - the kitchen system if you will - audiophile quality is not required)
I’ve an external USB DAC (Schiit Fulla) and realize I probably need the bit-rates to be the same for the sources, but haven’t been able to find that magic blog out there that has my answer - any help is greatly appreciated - I can load either DietPi or Ropiee onto a box - thanks ahead of time - Robert.

1 Like