Roon client uses far too much memory

Several years ago, I had a problem running MatLab on a MacPro Desktop Comuper, as I recall
with 16 GB of ram, dual Xenon processors. At that time, MatLab would allocate more memory when needed for larger matrix calculations, but it wouldn’t release the memory. The machine performance behaved just as some of you have reported for the roon. And my problem at hat time was also solved by rebooting the software. Perhaps that’s a problem with the Roon software or something its calling.

Right now, I’m trying to decide if I wan’t to use Roon, and in any case what deice to connect my music files (stored ib apple iOS and MacOS devices (ipad, iphone, and late 1 MacPro running Mojave 10.14.6.) to my BenchMark DAC3-HGC. The best “source” I currently have is my 2021 iPad Pro, which connects directly to the Benchmark Dac USB input. But I want to use the iPad as a remote control so I don’t have to sit on the floor in front of the TV/equipment stand. Ha anyone tried the Pro-Ject Box S2 ultra streamer, or is it better to just buy a fairly power Intel Nuc? Or maybe you have a better recommendation for me.

@john_ondov John, just because I’m not happy with the way the Roon client is built doesn’t mean I’m not a happy Roon user. I think the Roon solution is by far the best you can get.
It is a little off topic, but in your case I would advise to buy an Intel Nuc and install ROCK on it.
Mine is running for years and I hardly notice it exists :wink: .

Arie, many thanks. I’ve found the Roon brochure a bit lacking. The white paper is much better, but I didn’t see when it was updated. I see Roon doesn’t or may not work with some intel Nucs. I see Nuc 8, 10, and 11’s for sale on Amazon, I5, I7, and even celeron processors. I’m thinking I7, 16 GB Ram, 512 GB SSD, 2.8 GHz 4-core processor, running Windows 10 (home or pro options). Any thoughts on that?

@john_ondov My NUC is already old: a NUC Core i5 6260U with 8GB of memory and a 250GB SSD. As I only use it for ROCK, this is already too much: always 240GB unused…

ROCK does not ask much processing power. When the NUC is in the room where you are listening to the music, its better to have a NUC with a processor that doesn’t activate the fan all the time (so not too powerful).

Why would you use Windows when ROCK is specially made for this, at no extra cost? Go for ROCK. Once you have it up and running you never have to look at it again.

Some development tools or even programs like Outlook or Teams use a lot of RAM. It is rare that I see a browser under 900mb, and sometimes multiple memory hungry tabs.

Once migration is done to .Net 6, it should be able to run without Rosetta 2, which may reduce memory usage.