Roon controller on raspberry pi touch screen

Hi

I understand the Roon architecture implies separate controller and endpoint. However I would like to have a pi based unit with touch screen in my kitchen which can act as endpoint and controller. I would rather not have to search for an ipad or phone each time I go in the kitchen and want to use the system.

Is there any available software which can make this happen on a Linux based Pi with Touch Screen? Is anyone working on this? I suppose a browser based interface would be the easiest solution but is this something anyone has tried?

Cheers
Paul

2 Likes

I believe the only option at the moment is to run the full Roon on an x86 board, something like an UDOO X86 maybe (http://shop.udoo.org/other/preorder-x86.html).

It would be great if there was a version of Roon Remote for Raspberry Pi…

Ok but surely pi with touchscreen and dac is a solution crying out for implementation. There are several of the shelf squeezebox emulations and squeeze is years old and discontinued. Roon?

Why not just use a small Andriod tablet? No pi needed at all.

Because I have high quality active speakers; already have a pi/dac/screen and want something all inclusive to play music in the kitchen via roon server. could use pi as endpoint and android as controller and fix it to the pi box but that is perverse. Just want an all in one player al a squeezebox but pi based and roon served!

Comparing Roon to Squeeze in this matter is not entirely fair: Squeeze has been around for ages, while Roon is a feisty one year old. Also: the best remotes, skins, ports to other OSes, etc. have come from the community – not from our friends at SlimDevices/Logitech.

The upcoming Roon API will create possibilities for third party/community solutions as well. You may want to read @brian’s remarks here:

1 Like