Roon Core on a headless server: differences between Linux and Windows PC? E.g. auto log on and updates?

On the same PC, I found Ubuntu 20.04 LTS with Roon server more snappy, when compared to the same PC running a fresh Windows 10 and Roon server install.

2 Likes

Hello. Any tips on services etc. to disable in Windows 10? There are a lot of services running but I’m not sure what can be disabled.

In the end the autoupdate stutters got to me and I now run Roon Server and HQP Desktop on Linux Ubuntu 20.04 with Jussi’s low latency kernel. I much prefer it to Windows 10 as I never have to bother with it.

I can’t recall exactly what services I stopped in Windows. There are some scripts published online, but I had problems with them closing stuff I wanted, so reverted to selecting myself. There are some system warnings to not close particular services which it is wise to observe. Always make a Restore point before messing with services and don’t disable the Restore services.

I deleted stuff like Bluetooth and other features I was never going to use. I left anything to do with the CPU alone. If you don’t know what it does, leave it alone is a good rule. Then look up the stuff you’ve left to see what it does.

2 Likes