Roon DSP (Accessing multiple CPU cores for a single zone)

Yes it is a dsd function, but it doesnt show up because Roon doesnt recognose the DAC can do DSD under Linux. It does however support Linux on Windows. Not going to help you either way. As I said earlier Roon uses one core and a max of two full stop and spreads the load across them all, its not been designed to utilise any more than that as it doesnt need to for most situations. If I upsample to max PCM of 384/24 on my Naim Atom then I get 7.5 x roughly, if I add another endpoint with upsampling to 192/24 it doesnt drop and another on my Squeezebox to max 96/24 it doesnt change the other devices. It scales across until it cant do it anymore one endppoint wont be stretching it. Dont get hung up on the number your seeing or it showing on one core, it will use what it needs when it needs it. If the CPU is underpowerd to mamage complex situations then it show as a very low speed, anything lower than 1.5 I would be concerned about.

1 Like

Agreed. After I have read up on this function I’m just going to use a different PC if I run close to the line.
Thanks for your comment.

I can’t see anywhere that states the Motu MK5 supports DSD.
PCM sampling rates are only listed on the manufacturers website.

I might try connecting to my Windows laptop to test, just out of curiosity.

JUST AN FYI EDIT: I connected the Motu to a windows laptop, running bridge (loaded with the Motu Asio driver), the DSD options are not displayed either. This observation supports the specified sampling rates from Motu.

1 Like

Your right about DSD my bad there thought it supported it.

I have to say, as a Lifetime owner of Roon, I would have expected & valued some level of comment from the Roon team.

Not sure we’re your coming from with that statement. It does as they intended and they have said this many times

I was simply stating, I would have valued and honestly expected someone from the Roon support team to comment in the thread. It certainly would have been more efficient/effective.
A few Roon team members were tagged for comment, but no response was received.

At the end of the day, with the help of Roon users, and googling many threads I eventually got my answers.

FYI… Never have I said Roon doesn’t perform as intended.
Lets leave it there… Cheers and thanks for your help.

2 Likes

Is it meanwhile possible to activate 2 or even 4 Cores on a NUC8i7
Perhaps there has been an update in the meantime.
Maybe i could not find the information in the setup

No, nothing has changed in how Roon operates it uses one core per zone or two if your using Parrelize Sigma Delta Processor.

2 Likes

I’m facing the same problem, without seeing the Sigma-Delta modulator. Did you find the case?

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.