Roon DSP volume vs HQPlayer

Yes I can do dsd. I’ve actually been upsampling to it.
Btw, Did you see my reply to your answers?

512? To what do you connect it? computer or something else?

1. MicroRendu to DacMagic 200m
1 Like

Ok, thanks. I could not do 512 (maybe only with a win comp)

44.1kHz to 96kHz PCM, DoP64 (Optical), 44.1kHz to 192kHz PCM, DoP64 (Coaxial), 44.1kHz to 768kHz PCM, Native DSD 64x to 512x, DoP 64x to 256x (USB)

1 Like

Now I have not tried but I know CA do not offer support for linux and on Mac is 256DoP. So Native 512 is on windows

If you do DSD output to your DAC, it is best to leave the DAC’s volume control at 0 dBFS and control volume either with pre-amp, or as part of DSD upsampling.

If you want to optimize analog plus digital volume control combination and assure safety from surprises, this is the best recipe:

1. Set your preamp volume to minimum.
  2. (bypass DAC volume or set it to maximum)
  3. Set software control to maximum, preferably never higher than -3 dBFS (headroom for inter-sample overs)
  4. Play some music
  5. Turn your preamp volume to highest level you would ever want to listen
  6. Now lower the software volume control to comfortable listening volume and control the listening volume using sofware
  7. Done
2 Likes

So for DSD the dac volume should be zero and for everything else the Dac should be full volume?

0 dBFS = full volume

If it doesn’t have a fixed output level option.

Ok I get it.

For 200M you can turn off volume (set to fixed) I do not remember the combination of buttons, you turn it off then long press a button maybe the source one. You can find online the procedure

Quite many DACs work with native DSD on Linux. There’s a pretty much defacto standard for it. Some may need some additional patching but can be made work. So there are not so many out there anymore that would be native DSD only on Windows.

So either;

1. Dac fixed volume, roon fixed volume, control with preamp.

or

1. Dac fixed volume, preamp full volume, control with roon dsp. (and get the stupid blue dot)

*I mean green.

This is what I understood from the 200M threads. But sound a little scary and I would need a new NAA as Zen Stream does only 256. So better wait and upgrade the dac first. Now I’m back on zen dac with BB for a while

:slight_smile: Green

I do control with the preamp. Until I’ll find out that it is not a good preamp :slight_smile:

Thx. Ya green. Hate that thing.

I know. In living roon I have some Yamaha, only Airplay, so green

Living roon. I see what you did there lol.

1 Like

How is dsp volume control different than if the dac was roon ready and it just did regular volume control without dsp?

what? No I did not. It is for real. Have 3 end points. Studio, Living room, Kitchen. And 2 more for the kids, each with his own user (useless because they use Spotify)