Roon endpoint (iOS) vs Tidal app (iOS) sound quality?

There are “system monitor” apps but I never see one that tell you the single tasks cpu load.

Interesting since the DAC not Roon controls timing. How do you know which setup is giving the most faithful reproduction?

Hi,

“timing” is the correct word to describe what the Roon client has more than Tidal app.

I guess that Roon is more “correct” while Tidal is more “easily listenable”.

Altought, in my scenario, Roon is better for the speakers rig (where I need more brightness) while Tidal is better for the headphone rig (where I need a more “softer” presentation).

Since I decided to keep Roon and local files and abandon Tidal, I will tune my rigs on the new sound which Roon+flacs bears that is pretty different than the previous Roon+Tidal.

Hi,

I’m now evaluating Roon and I hear the same thing
Roon is a bit more aggressive with a bit less bottom end. (sub bass)
I’m using an RME UCX interface in a treated studio and I even tested one identical song and found out that the output is indeed different across 2 apps

I really like Roon functionality but Tidal sounds better and cleaner

Isn’t bit-perfect should be the same?

Thanks,
Eli

It’s an interesting question about bit-perfect should be the same.

Now I changed setup and I leave Tidal, but at the time I wrote, it was clear that Tidal stuff sounded with more bottom end while Roon+flac sounded more bright.

In my previous setup, the combination Roon+flac was better.

Same for me. Playing Tidal via Roon on my iPhone to my Hugo2 is not as good as the native Tidal app. Smaller soundstage and less defined and punchy bass.
Did the same comparison on my iPad and cannot hear the same big difference but still an advantage to the Tidal app.
In general the iPad is much better as a source compared to the iPhone, independent of which app I use.

they both aren’t the best source, because they both use a battery as power supply.

Ok, maybe so. For my understanding, would you like to elaborate on why battery power is less good?

Ever faced things running slow when a battery is running empty?

Of course I have :slight_smile: But you know that there are extreme high end equipment, i.e. phono stages that run on batteries, as it is a more clean energy source?
Sorry for asking, I assume I will not get a scientific answer on this one.

For me the discussion in this thread seems moot, since the OP is NOT comparing identical music files/sources when reaching his conclusions on SQ. Unless the exact same source is used in any such comparison, there is no way to tell if one app is better than the other SQ-wise.