Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony

I have moved my Harmony Hub to a position next to an Android Tablet that I use to control Roon. The hub and the tablet “talk” to each other through both blue-tooth and the LAN. I have the Deep Harmony extension installed in Roon. I have the Harmony skill enabled in Alexa. I have used the Harmony Android application to set things up. I tried setting an “activity” there in the Android app for “stereo.” I was given very few choices for that “activity” - I told the app I was using a “computer” and that the OS was “other.” I was able to name the activity “stereo” and I picked an icon for it.
That was about all there was to enter into that “activity.” Getting all these parts to work in “harmony” with each other is a fantastic challenge. That plus even if I have been successful in orchestrating this, I have no idea what commands I can give to Alexa when all is said and done…

Anyone have an idea of an Alexa command that I can try in order for me to test if I might have succeeded and don’t even realize it?

How do you set these Deep Harmony extension settings?

This extension is a docker only, so you need to install a docker version of the extension manager and also need to set the docker socket I did it following the same instructions as the cdripper for extension manager.

Sorry, but I’m too ignorant to understand how to do this. You’re talking a different language :confused:. How do you “set the docker socket”? Where do you find instructions for installing the CD Ripper for extension manager?

Make sure Extension Manager is up to date, should be 0.11.7 and repository 0.3.15

You don’t need to worry about Docker. Extension Manager takes care of this part for you (unless there’s a version of Extension Manager that doesn’t handle Docker extensions? @Jan_Koudijs ). However, you must read and understand the instructions in the Readme Adam posted when he created Deep Harmony.

Harmony Remote Setup

Deep Harmony includes an emulator of a Roku TV device that serves purely as a control bridge between Harmony and the the Deep Harmony Roon extension. You will need to add the device to Harmony, then add it to your chosen activity and finally customise the buttons for the activity.

Thank you again, Larry. That should keep me busy for awhile!

I’m Back! I got fairly far along this trail, but am stumped once again. Here’s where I got:

The device is saved, as instructed. No power buttons selected, as instructed. I have no remote control - just the hub. How do I “setup a music related activity without the Roon Controller, and then re-run the activity adding in the Roon controller”? The only device I have in the Harmony app is the Roon Controller. Then, how do I get to the place where the Harmony buttons and the Roku commands are paired? (I have no physical remote control with actual buttons.)

It needs to be the docker version of extension manager the standard install of it want see it at all just like Jan’s cdripper extension and without the correct docker socket set when jts first run it can’t install or update external docker extensions. This was the case on my QNAP.

If you search on the forum you will find instructions on how to install it from extension manager thread and it’s Linux only.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-extension-cd-ripper-v0-4-0/66590&ved=2ahUKEwjKhsna5fHqAhXCoXEKHd-3AQkQFjAAegQICRAB&usg=AOvVaw2GN50SiGg_1Zr6jk2iUZsy

No dice sorry, all up to date but doesn’t show. Given the release noted from Jan I don’t expect it to be available unless Extension Manager is running through Docker. It’s ok though, I have Deep Harmony running as a process on MacOS.

Adam,

Need your help as DH is not seeing my hub. I have enabled the extension. HUB software is 4.15.264, enabled xmpp within Harmony. HUB (wireless) and Server (wired) on same network. Any ideas?

Larry (and others). Please see my edited post above.

Help :worried:. I’ve come so far… Just steps away. After all this work I really don’t want to return the Harmony Hub for a refund. How do I “setup a music related activity without the Roon Controller, and then re-run the activity adding in the Roon controller”? The only device I have in the Harmony app is the Roon Controller. Then, how do I get to the place where the Harmony buttons and the Roku commands are paired? (I have no physical remote control with actual buttons.)

Finally got it to work. :grinning:

1 Like

What exactly do you want to achieve? Have you added in all the devices you want to the harmony hub? So you just have the hub no remote?

As I have said, my only goal here is to enable spoken Alexa commands to do some simple things with Roon. Pause / skip / resume would be a good start. Anything else would be gravy. I have no physical remote. I have a tablet that does just fine with that. My wife is forever using Alexa to play music. It drives me nuts. We have a very nice system with Roon, and she’s playing the Echo Dot! If she could make simple voice commands that would be great.

I’m so darn close here, but my time to return all these gadgets is getting short…

I suspect I may be missing the point here (because after what you’ve already done, what I’m about to suggest is very simple) but isn’t your next step to set up your audio devices in your Harmony app, and then in the Harmony app again, define the activities that will use those devices. One of the devices in each activity will be the Roon controller, the RokuTV. When I’ve done this, I haven’t done it in two stages like the instruction says (firstly leaving the Roon controller out, and then updating each activity to add it in) and I’ve never had a problem.

Once your Harmony hub has this information, then those activities should appear in the Roon extension control panel. Does this make sense? Good luck!

I don’t have a Roku TV… The only other device the Harmony app recognizes is my Amazon Fire TV stick, and I’m not going to use the hub to control that. What am I missing here?

OK - so you’re using the Harmony phone app rather than the desktop app I guess, since the “Roon Controller” appears as “Deep Harmony 2” on my phone app but “RokuTV” on my desktop app. On the phone app go to Edit devices and then + Device at the bottom of the screen to add the appropriate Entertainment Device (your amp/streamer etc) which you’ll then configure in the process. Then go to Edit on the Activities tab and define an activity (such as “Listen to Roon”) using the devices you’ve set up. Does that help?

The extension to do any controls advertises itself as Roku TV (TCL on Mine) this needs to be added to the Harmony app as a device. If you enabled device correctly in the extension then scan for WiFi devices in the Harmony app it should see it and you add it. Then create an activity using streamer, amp etc and include the Roku TV it needs to be the device that controls the media playback when setting it up in the activity. If you follow the instructions properly for setting up the extension it covers all this. Look at this as it covers it all.

If you want Alexa to play music it won’t be able to. It will be able to play pause skip etc but it won’t be able to play specific tracks or albums so I don’t think your wife will use it as you still need Roon app to play the tracks albums you want as it can’t search the library.

This extension allows the Roon app to control volume on devices it normally can’t, trigger the whole activity so turns everything on/off and allows a hardware remote to control simple playback of Roon. Alexa can be added to Harmony to then add simple voice commands such as turn on TV of hifi etc, play music, stop music.

CrystalGipsy, this is very helpful. I thought the control would be minimal, as you say here, but I’ve been willing to give it a try. I can get Roon started for her. If she hates a track on my playlist she could just use a voice command to go to the next song. If the music is too loud, she could use a voice command to turn it down. If she’s on the phone she could use a voice command to tell Roon to stop playing or pause playing.
I have gotten to this point in the instructions:

Yes, Harmony does exactly what the instructions say it should do - it insists on my creating an activity of “Watch Netflix” or “Watch Roku.” etc. The rest of the instructions here make no sense to me.
Here is a screenshot of my Harmony App showing that I have one device - the one I have re-named Roon Control in accordance with the instructions:

If you click on that device you get this:

That’s where I’m stuck.

Click on Edit Devices and follow the instructions @CrystalGipsy referred to that I summarised above. The Harmony hub needs to know what devices (such as TV, amp or streamer) you want to control. When they’re set up, you can then create an Activity - an association of the devices you need to, for example, Listen to Roon.

Harmony Hub is connected via blue-tooth to my Android tablet, mounted two feet away from it. That tablet runs Roon. I also have a Raspberry Pi Ropieee device right next to the Harmony Hub that has a touch screen, but no blue-tooth. I originally purchased a FLIRC to control that with the hub, but couldn’t get that to work and gave up. Asking the Harmony app to find devices other than the Deep Harmony “Roku” device (that I’ve renamed “Roon Controller” as suggested in the instructions) yields only a Fire TV stick and my Yamaha amplifier (used to power the television audio in a room that we rarely use for anything but watching television).

Clicking on Edit devices in the Harmony app gives this:

From there, if you click on “ADD / Fix Command” you get this:

"Fix delay" yields this:

"Power settings" gives you this:

Input settings gives this:

OK, what settings should I change?