Roon Extension: Deep Harmony - rich feature set for Logitech Harmony

I responded to your email. It seems you have a network connectivity issue that is most likely interfering with the embedded roku emulators.

Details and actions in my email.

By the way, unlike probably every 3rd party software outside of logitech and their partners, this does not use XMPP and instead uses their new control protocol. Neither does XMPP have a part to play in the connectivity with the roku emulators. End result - no need to enable XMPP.

Is there a more detailed guide on how to set up an “activity” correctly. I am completely lost here. My hub is showing up in Roon and I have the dummy TLC device adde to my hub but I am a complete loss how to set up the activity and the github page isn’t really clear at all.

Hi Armin,

do you mean setting up the activity in the Harmony app or configuring the extension in Roon? I found the latter to be more confusing. Setting up the the activity in the Harmony app is reasonably straightforward. Below a few screenshots of my set-up with an amplifier, DAC and the Roon Control (TLC device). It is also important to configure the buttons of the Roon Control device correctly (as described in the GitHub page). Hope this helps.

Thank you for you reply. I figured it out in the end. The part I was missing is that you need some dummy audio device to setup a “Play Music” activity. Now it works perfectly many thanks to the creator of this.

@Adam_Goodfellow are there any plans for an armv8/64bit Docker version? Thx!

1 Like

It really depends on when I have a good reason to buy a high spec RPI 4 for use as a build machine for it. Currently I do not.

Hi, can someone help me please. I was running previously deep harmony extension for my NUC/ROCK. The extension is always running on my laptop Win10. Last week I had to recover Windows10 on my laptop and now can’t get the extension working again. Roon sees the extension but the status is “awaiting harmony”. Please help because I’m stuck and don’t know what to do next.

You don’t need a RPI 4 in order to create an arm64 image. First of it can also be done on a RPI3 :slight_smile: , but there is also the possibility to cross build the image by using a Multiarch image as your base image. Most of my extensions are nowadays based on Multiarch.

I created the Extension Generator to make Multiarch image creation easier. Maybe a look through the different scripts can tell if this is an interesting solution for you.

Docker isnt really the issue - I need to run the compiler on the target platform - maybe multiarch could help with that.

With multiarch you can cross compile for the target platform.

I created a Dockerfile that can create images for multiple architectures containing a compiled version of an extension (I’m using the pkg compiler). It is a two stage build, in the first stage the binary for the extension is created and in the second stage a run time image containing the binary is created. The resulting image doesn’t contain the sources.

Before building you have to activate the multiarch environment:

docker run --rm --privileged multiarch/qemu-user-static:register --reset

The target architecture has to be supplied at docker build time via --build-arg options. As architectures can have different names for different tools there are 2 of these build args. These are the values for arm64:

--build-arg build_arch=arm64 --build-arg pkg_arch=arm64

Dockerfile linked below.

OK thanks I will take a look when I get time.

"First of all, open your Harmony app on your mobile phone and select the Devices tab.

Scroll to bottom of the list as required until the Edit Devices button is visible and tap on Edit Devices.

At the bottom of screen that appears, there should be a button labelled + Device; tap this.

At this point, if you do not have room for an additional device, Harmony may complain and you will need to remove another device.

The next screen that appears will be a menu with SCAN FOR WI-FI DEVICES at the bottom; select this menu item.

Harmony should now scan your network. This may take a minute or so."

• How do I make my harmony hub to find deep harmony extension ? I’m stuck at “awaiting Harmony” in Roon settings . Please help.

Hello,

I use a Roon ROCK on a NUC and I have a Synology NAS on my network. I succesfully install Docker and the Deep Harmony. Roon see the extension, but I’m stuck with the Harmony Software on my phone which is unable to discover anything on the network…
Some help is welcome.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi Sylvain,
I’ve had the same problem. Today I solved it finally. Try with previous version of Deep Harmony Roon Extension. I downloaded version v2.6.5 and everything works fine for me.

Link to download v2.6.5 >>> Release Deep Harmony Roon Extension v2.6.5 console apps ¡ Khazul/roon-extension-deep-harmony-release ¡ GitHub

Kind Regards, Siemak.

I seem to have lost the ability to change volume and mute/unmute from Roon. I tried erasing all settings and setting up again multiple times but that didn’t help.

Thanks, but unfortunatly, there is no version for my DS916+. I’m only able to install version which are in the docker register in my Synology. I have tried with the 2.6.0, with no success…

Looks like my issue was the way I added my new pre-amp to Harmony. I selected custom instead of receiver/amp so Harmony did not see it as a volume control device when adding it to activities. Re-added it as a receiver/amp device and reset all of Deep Harmony’s settings and now it works as expected.

Just found out about Deep Harmony and really want to try it to control Roon as I don’t have a remote for my streamer. But I can’t seem to get even to the point of installation. I’ve tried on two different Macs, an Intel Mini, which is also where my Roon Core is installed, and an M1 Macbook Air, and same result on both.

I downloaded the correct version (roon-extension-deep-harmony-v2.6.7.387-macos-x64.zip) for my operating system, Mac OS Big Sur 11.6 to my “Downloads” folder.

I unzipped the archive and it expands as it should. Resulting in the following:

drwx------@  5 my-user  staff       160 Sep 15 19:27 .
drwx------@ 89 my-user  staff      2848 Sep 15 19:27 ..
-rw-rw-r--@  1 my-user  staff     72297 Mar  6  2021 readme.html
-rw-rw-r--@  1 my-user  staff  49532808 Mar  6  2021 roon-extension-deep-harmony
-rw-rw-r--@  1 my-user  staff       619 Mar  6  2021 run.sh

As per the instructions, I open a terminal in the right directory and type:
./run.sh
But this results in:
zsh: permission denied: ./run.sh
So I try:
sudo ./run.sh
and enter my password and get:
sudo: ./run.sh: command not found

Probably, as usual, I’m missing something simple here, but any help would be appreciated.

Tal the script is not executable.
Try
chmod +x run.sh

first and then
sudo ./run.sh

Hopefully this will get you started at least

Thanks, Michael.

Got a little bit farther along after making the file executable. Now I’m seeing this:

env: ./roon-extension-deep-harmony: Permission denied
roon-extension-deep-harmony terminated with exit code 126. Restarting..

I’m assuming this isn’t normal, so I killed the process, but maybe it is?