Roon Extension Manager v0.11.9 [Obsolete]

Hi @Hong_Son if you have command-line access to the box with the git repositories located below your home directory the best way to find them might be:

find ~ -type d -name .git

Every git repo has this directory in it’s root. If that doesn’t turn them up then:

sudo find / -type d -name .git

will find every repo on the machine, which might take a little time if the filesystem is large.

Edit Added sudo to the root fs command to avoid getting overwhelmed by Permission denied messages.

well, i tried both commands but no .git found.
i have both Extension Manager and Web Controller installed and working properly.
does that mean there MUST be .git somewhere?

my goal here is to update to the Web Controller 1.2.13.1 and see if it looks much better or not…

So you’ve not got completely lucky here, I’m comfortable around both Git and Docker but have only done a little very light dabbling where Roon Extensions are concerned. I have a feeling that you will have installed any extensions using the node package manager, i.e. the npm command. Does that sound familiar? Sorry this is turning into help by committee, you have my sympathy :wink:

hey @killdozer thanks for staying with me on this “simple” issue!
yes, i installed using the package manager, npm, per instructions.
and looks like the update for web controller 1.2.13.1 also uses npm.

but it wants to pull that git first but HOW?
it would seem the update instruction could be a tad more clear and
spell out which directory one should be before the update commands…

I can probably help here, but I’ll need to see the instructions you used to install this in the first place. If you ping me a link I’ll see what I can do. Be warned, I’m meeting some old work colleagues in a couple of hours and won’t be fit for tech support until tomorrow if all goes to plan.

If you want my first educated guess then try:

cd ~/.RoonExtensions/lib/node_modules/roon-extension-manager
npm update

No git or Docker required :wink:

ok let me do some experiments (oops).
i’ll leave your alone for now…
have a good day!

I wasn’t warning you off and will try to help until am too drunk to be of use. Good luck

Hi @Hong_Son,

Let me start off with some general information about Roon extensions and the Extension Manager.

Roon extensions can run on any device in your local network as long as it is on the same subnet as your Roon Core (otherwise the core cannot be discovered).

I created the Extension Manager to make installation of Roon extensions easier by taking away the hassle of using git, npm and other developer tools (but feel free to use them if you want to stay hardcore). This thread is about the old version of the Extension Manager for which I stopped support, the current 1.x version is supported via this thread. As mentioned by @Michael_Harris, the 1.x version requires a Linux system, but as that is what you have you might consider an upgrade. The first post of the linked thread, and this thread, have a link to the project Wiki.

If this is your goal then you don’t need the Extension Manager, as it is not included in the Extension Repository. To get this up and running you indeed have to use the git and npm tools as described in the readme of the Web Controller. As you probably have not installed the miemo version before, you should use the Installation instructions instead of the update instructions. Make sure that you have git and npm installed on your Linux system (e.g. on Ubuntu: sudo apt install git nodejs npm).

1 Like

@Jan_Koudijs thanks a lot! for your clarifying explanation.
after installation, i run app.js but the old 1.2.13 shows up instead of 1.2.13.1.
i did stop @Mike_Plugge 's web controller but do i need to uninstall it?
please advise…

1 Like

You cloned the original Web Controller, as the documentation hasn’t been updated. First remove the roon-web-controller directory that contains the old clone, then use git clone https://github.com/miemo/roon-web-controller.git in the first installation step. (It is for this reason that I stopped supporting this, you better get it working now :wink: , or move over to the Web Controller thread.)

There should only be one Web Controller running on a device as they, by default, use the same port number.

Got rid of both the manager and web controller.
Then, installed miemo version.
But I’m looking for all those nice theme options?
I don’t see much difference except for option to stop the scrolling.
I promise this will be my last question; I know you are no longer supporting this. :joy:

I’m not the one who made the Web Controller modifications, they are listed here:

For the next newbie struggling with this,
allow me to state what I’ve learned and have done.
First, as @Jan_Koudijs points out, there is the Extension Manager and at least 2 Web Controllers. The original Web Controller by @Mike_Plugge can be managed by the Extension Manager. But I wanted to use the Web Controller by @mnp75 who has done some tweaks on the original. I ended up uninstalling both the Manager and the original Web Controller and then, installing only the one by @mnp75.

Of course, I wanted to do more tweaking of my own. So, I cloned the repo and spent a good part of the morning to get Now-Playing looking just right on my RPI4’s 7" HDMI screen. There were 2 major changes:

1. make the album cover as large as possible to fill the entire height of the screen.
  2. got rid of marquee scrolling and made the text flow into multiple lines.

Folders for this customization are
[base-dir-of-repo]/roon-web-controller/public/css and …/js
and the files modified were:
nowplaying.css and nowplaying.js, respectively.

Hope this helps some other newbie wanting to do something like this…

1 Like

What is the latest version of Roon Extension Manager ?

I’m asking cause I’m trying to install on my Sonictransporter, and it’s not working. Getting error messages.
The version available is version 1.

This seems to be OK, but there is no Roon Extension Manager installed.

The latest version of the Extension Manager is 1.1.2. but as far as I know version 0.11 is still used on the sonicTransporter.

Well, it’s not working. Anyway I trying QNAP.

What am I doing wrong here:

Sonictransporter working now. Obviously it needed some time.