HAF - Home Audio Fidelity (Room Correction / convolution filter creation)

Tierry made my filters, both normal and non-beta x-talk, about 6 weeks ago.

Since then I’ve enjoyed listening to all 3 ‘modes’, including without. At first, I stuck with the x-talk as it (they) struck me as the most positive change. I don’t feel ‘better’ fits as none are bad, only different.

3 weeks ago, I made a very significant DAC swap. I had a Oppo UDP-205 via Ethernet fed by 2012 Lenovo small desktop PC running ROCK, replaced by PS Audio DirectStream FPGA DAC, all balanced to their Stellar gain cell preamp to S300 amp > Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2 or Senn HD580 via preamp headphone amp.

I also had a DirectStream Jr. for about a week in there but liked it so much I forked over more for the Sr. The analog output stage is the most significant change. It runs much cooler too as the cast alum heatsink case is larger.

Now I find I like either no convolution filter or non-xtalk. Xtalk now sounds closed-in as if the speakers are way exaggerated toed-in placing the image too far in front of me; instead of enveloping me on all sides, top and bottom.

The room, speaker placement, has not changed. I did make a couple DIY power cables but the jury is still out if these are making any difference. Power was already in pretty good shape being regenerated, and only running low ripple SMPS throughout short of the linear transformers in the DAC/pre/amp and subwoofers amps.

I will have Thierry update my filters shortly and the exploration will begin again. I’ll gladly pay the modest price to have this much fun again, perhaps once a quarter. PS Audio (Ted Smith) updates the FPGA code a couple times a year too…and I have all the older (~8) versions to try.

I wholeheartedly recommend a home eval DirectStream DAC if you’re in a position to do so. Paul and company are very smart paying all costs for a 30 day in home demo of everything they make in Boulder, CO. I think non-USA has to go through a ‘local’ dealer. Lo siento.

Larry

1 Like