Roon metadata vs file tags = hell

True, if you denote some tags as “top level” then you could use that to filter out lower level tags. I had not thought of that. Assuming it works that way, that would be best as a bookmark so as to avoid having to apply the filter every time.

EDIT: tried it, works pretty well. This is a decent way to do at least one level of drill-down with tags, using bookmarks to avoid having to filter every time. Now, what we need is the ability to assign custom graphics for tags and bookmarks, instead of the mosaic of artists/albums…

That’s my point, can already be done and you can get there via a hierarchy or directly, it’ll appear using either Roon tags and they needn’t be bookmarked…just go to tags and browse the tags you’re interested in.

As an example…

Roon tag: Friends
Roon tag: Boys
Roon tag: Girls

John assigned to Boys and Friends
Janine assigned to Girls and Friends

Browse Friends and you get both and can drill down from there
Browse Boys and you get John
Browse Girls and you get Janine

What else?

Thanks, can’t check it now, I’ll try it later.

Well I know you are trying to help, so I have no intent to argue here. But just pointing out that without bookmarking or using filters (or bookmarking the filter), you still get the John tag on the same page as the Friends tag. So to have a “top level” that does not include its members on the same page, you use filters, and to avoid having to apply the filter every time you bookmark the filter. That’s all I’m sayin’…

Yip, but it’s splitting hairs, the way it works now is instant and versatile, it just doesn’t explicitly force a hierarchical browse, so if you know what you want you can go straight there as opposed to wading through a tree.

Fast-forward 2+ years and ll those ragging issues still exist. I thought compositions are stored in the WORK tag? But there is no way I can tell roon to pick WORK up from the file rather than Roons own databse.

Also the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST handling remains totally unconsistand. what a mess.

Do you need nother 2 years to get this to work?

I have posted about metadata problems before so I re-read this thread again before posting. I honestly don’t know what Roon’s plans are but I am kind of stuck with them now. I came to Roon in the process of looking for a streamer and bought a Nucleus +. I honestly don’t know if there is a streamer out there with better editing software - I did not see one when I looked. That said, I am deeply frustrated with editing, tags, and selection.

I simply want to easily edit one or several albums tags somewhat like you have in MediaCenter - by the way if they are idv3 tags or proprietary attributes in a complex object in a several hierarchies, makes little difference to me. I want to be able to do essentially boolean functions on those tags (attributes) for selection. As a start I would like to hear what Roon has planned in this area. Certainly there have been enough issues. A road map from them would be nice.

I don’t think this problem is anywhere near solved since so many complain about it.

1 Like

It would appear that Roon don’t care. They have been following a bait and bait and switch marketing strategy for a long time now.

1 Like

Yep, and wetook the bait. Oh well, it will be the first and last year of subscription if things wont improve pretty swiftly.

1 Like

This is not really a hierarchy you accomplish this by assigning a item to different groups multiple times.

I guess I am just frustrated that there is nothing in the newest release to help with this problem. I have concluded that tags are the only way to go but I will end up with lots and lots of work. I wish I had not purchased a lifetime subscription.