Roon mobile: Syncing Music Files To Portable Devices for local playback [done]

Remote access seems to work well by setting up a Wireguard VPN server. My Firewalla Gold router has this built in so it made it ultra easy to set up. I personally haven’t gone through the technical heavy lifting of setting up a Wireguard VPN server so I can’t (at this time) post any steps to that end. Nonetheless, I’ve successfully connected my Wireguard VPN client to my local network and the Android mobile app is able to stream from my NUC ROCK server inside my LAN.

I also found a good alternative is having my Plex server running alongside Roon and using the PlexAmp…the drawback is you only have access to your local music files.

In the long run, it would be a great addition if Roon added this functionality without needing to resort to doing the above.

Hi Eric
Yes I agree that it would be a big step to access Roon from anywhere .
One thing I simply can not understand,why no one from Roon take the challenge ? It’s not such a big issue to do and yet none of Roon stuff is even respond to this post…That force us all to work with JRiver that does a great job in enabling the access from remote and outside your home network,and guys it work smoothly and extremely fast .

You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about.

It’s a tremendous challenge, and the question has been addressed, ad nauseam, for years.

It will happen, eventually.

i fully agree with the above users, it’s utterly insane that this otherwise amazing app doesn’t have this extremely basic functionality. it turns it from something i would have immediately subscribed to, to “oh well back to plex”

plex isn’t perfect but i at least don’t have to physically be in my house

1 Like

Hi Danny
Any update or info to share ?

3 Likes

We’ve been working on it. It’s been scheduled to get done, but I can’t give you a release date.

5 Likes

Can you provide us with the year it has tentatively been scheduled to be done? I am not asking for a release date, just trying to understand the complexity of the project.

After Valence, it’s the largest project we’ve ever undertaken. I could tell you a rough ballpark of the scheduling timeline, but I’ve learned my lesson :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Hi Danny,

If you can’t give a ballpark ETA, perhaps you could give some more context for why this feature is such a challenge to implement? Many other products (Plex, for one) seem to already have cracked this nut, and even forum users have rolled their own local solutions (using tools like ZeroTier or WireGuard). Is it a dev team resource/prioritization issue? Is there something about the way Roon is architected that makes this an order of magnitude more complicated than it is with other products?

Just trying to better understand the challenges in making this happen wth Roon. Thanks.

3 Likes

Hello there Xekomi
You do not need to attack me with your response . All I said that
I wish Roon can be access from any where just like many cheaper same kind of music service… Keep it calm please !

There are many threads on this topic already where Roon has responded. It’s something they have been looking at but due to the more complex nature of how Roon works they won’t release something until it gives you the full Roon experience away from home without the headaches and short comings of how other deal with it. Jriver really is simplistic it’s you local files only itt has no integration with streaming services or internet radio. Roon has enough issues supporting people’s network infrastructures at home, adding in mobile, public and work infrastructures onto this for away from home access think of the amount of hassle that will cause. Plexs model works but your opening up your network to possible attacks in doing so. I dont think Roon would want this type of models again adds way more support.

2 Likes

Hello Simon,

I appreciate your profound and details response … I never compare the JRiver with Roon as an Audiophile ! So I do understand the need of a much more complicated solution for it…

I do hope that one day Roon will surprise us all with the ability to fix it. In the meantime I am using couple of services to fulfill my needs…

One thing is for sure, Roon for me is for serious listening with my costly stereo system…

Many thanks.

Even if it’s not to your own music server, just using the Roon app to access Qobuz streaming through it, along with your local (on the device) music, would be a nice feature.

Personally I do not see or feel the need for a Roon remote option for myself.

It’s just as easy to stream from Qobuz in the car or hotel room.

I can live without my local files in these situations quite easily.
I realize this possibly puts me in the minority but just sharing my view and situation.

3 Likes

Most real world users have very modest upload speeds. That should limit enjoyment of remote Roon use.

You seem to take it the wrong direction Xekomi ,
“You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about”
That is quiet rude and un polite to write for someone here… I keep writing as response to what you wrote,simply because you offended me as a member in this community just as you are …Patronize while writing as you did do not serve the meaning of this community …

The search button on this forum is located in the upper right corner of the screen. Try typing the words remote access up there, and you’ll notice the multiplicity of topics on the matter going back six years.

It’s just about the most asked for request, alongside “integrate other music services”. I’m sorry that you felt so offended by my admittedly curt response that you felt the need to demand an elaboration on it twice.

I am quite sure by this time that the Roon management have got the message , if it were “a five minute job” we would have it by now after version 1.4 . Clearly it isn’t so we don’t have it .

How about selecting a few albums , convert to MP3 and put em on an SD card in your phone (or in your iPhone). Works for me . When I was working my trusty iPod Classic worked wonders. I actually believe I can manage without access to my 37 Box Sets of Beethoven Piano Sonatas 24/7

I am at a loss as to why I would need “Roon on the Go” but I am an house bound old codger :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Roon is not like any other service on Earth. They are unique in how they do things (one reason why they have multi room capability, among other unique features). And, they have stated that they are working on remote access capability, but they need to make sure that it gives the Roon experience, without having any negative impact on the home user.

Exactly, well said
I do indeed have a 256gb SD card in my phone and 128gb internal memory in the phone as well.
Between the albums I have loaded to the phone and Qobuz, there is no need for Roon To Go for myself whatsoever.
Obviously many have a different take and that is perfectly fine!