Roon Music Blog: Classical Community Conversations

My journey started within a few weeks of my 18th birthday, I got to university met 3 guys interested in playing Bridge . I was elected as the no 4 trainee. All games were accompanied by classical music

These guys were fairly experienced for 18 year olds so Mahler, Beethoven Bach etc. I soon got hooked.

My real advance was Ivan March’s Long Playing Record Library which was a mail rental service. You chose a large number of albums for them to pick from. Every week 3 LP’s turned up , to be returned in 4 days. It was like Xmas every week.

I used the Penguin Stereo Record Guide, Ivan March being one of the authors - sadly no more, to guide my choices.

Once I started work the buying began , hardware and media.

I also rushed out every month to buy Gramophone

4 of my fave albums are mentioned above , Brendel Haydn , Uchida Mozart , du Pre Elgar and ELP Pictures ( my tastes are somewhat catholic) feature above. I have since broke the bank many times on my quest for more media :smiling_imp:

If I added one to the list it’s the Alfred Brendel Complete Philips Recordings, but I will think of a more select group as this thread progresses , great idea @jamie

5 Likes