Roon Music Blog: Classical Community Conversations

A bit late for this, but I was caught in a web of excellent Baroque music. Every first day of spring, I celebrate by listening to Stravinsky’s Ballet Le Sacre du Printemps (Rite of Spring) written for Ballets Russes/Sergei Diaghilev in 1913. Cliché, I know, but what a cliché! I’ve listened to 103 recordings of this work, a labor of love and curiosity. I imprinted on a recording of this work performed by Antal Dorati/Detroit Symphony Orchestra as a much younger person. Here are some favorite recordings of this Spring celebratory dance work for orchestra and two transcriptions for two pianists.

Will have to scroll a bit to get to the Riccardo Chailly/Cleveland Symphony Orchestra The Rite of Spring performance.

The cover on the Marc-André Hamelin/Leif Ove Andsnes recording is based upon the original Nicholas Roerich concept design for Dhiagelev’s 1913 Ballets Russes production (below).

Roerich_Rite_of_Spring

The country mouse Rites of Spring for the Upper Midwest, where I live, include snow shoveling (3" new snow yesterday) and cutting away fallen trees. C’est le début du Printemps.

4 Likes