Roon Music Blog: Classical Community Conversations

Yes, they are led by the violinist Manfredo Kraemer who’s been born in Buenos Aires… even while his name sounds quite German to me…

2 Likes

Available on Tidal Romania.

1 Like

I’ve now had opportunity to sample the album by Stefano Maiorana; I love the sound of the theorbo, and this artist was a new discovery for me. I have not made up my mind if I like the programming of this new release, interspersing music by Kapsberger with modern works for theorbo by Claudio Ambrosini. Then again, modern compositions for theorbo are rare scarce, so this is something to be applauded.

Still, I feel that you may wish to listen to Maiorana’s earlier album with music by Kapsberger. It is recorded quite close up (as I like it for these so very intimate instruments), and both playing and recording whet the appetite for more to come…

3 Likes

100% agree. I tried to select only the Kapsberger’s tracks and have a listen. After a break I did the same with Ambrosini’s tracks. Break and again all the album. And as an experiment, from a conceptual point of view I liked. As a feeling maybe it has to grow on me.

Thanks for the reply, I did jump on the “intavolatura” last night but still did not touch the Santiago de Murcia from his discography.

Now playing again, by accident (I was doing house keeping) started to play on the next room system, quite loud. Made me think about the real instrument and if I had to mach that levels. Playing loud has a “electric” feeling and depending on the mood might work, have to try that with other instruments :slight_smile: excuse my rant

1 Like

Very nice. Thank you.

I thoroughly enjoy the Maiorana Kapsberger/Ambrosini interweaving. Anything to keep that theorbo coming. Could do with less glissando on the Ambrosini, but that’s just me quibbling.

A bit more Leclaire for ECM New Series fans

3 Likes

3 Likes

Maybe you spelled one of my thoughts, taming a bit the differences. Sometimes I felt them a little too much, as being there just for the limit defining between the two. Maybe it is my prejudice, thinking that the Kapsberger’s pieces would offer less space for interpretations than Ambrosini’s. If the line would be blurred more, where would that place the water recordings? Or maybe there will be a vol 2.

Thank you

1 Like

Love Moravec’s Chopin on Supraphon label. Right up there with Arthur Rubinstein.

2 Likes

Moravec’s recorded and concert repertoire was limited but all of it exquisite. Portait on Supraphon contains a good bit of what he recorded plus some taped concert video.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for checking in your different locations.

I went ahead and bought a used CD box set so at least I can hear them.

3 Likes

Update on Universal Music Group’s Hyperion Acquisition. Short-term, no change. Hadn’t realized that Decca and Deutsche Grammophon were already in the Universal Music Group family.

https://www.universalmusic.com/universal-music-group-announces-acquisition-of-legendary-classical-label-hyperion-records/

3 Likes

Just got around to listening to this (the Psallentes/Royal Wind Music recording you referred to on March 19). A bit earlier than I usually like to go in my listening. Was not looking forward to a male plainsong group and was pleasantly surprised that this was a recording of Psallentes Femina. Refreshing change. Also hadn’t appreciated that the Royal Wind Music is a 13 member Dutch recorder consort with instruments ranging in size from 15 cm to 3 meters! Simple, but very appealing recorder performances and the plainsong was quite enjoyable. Thank you for the recommendation. I have seen the Hans Memling Annunciation painting at the Met and it is exemplary for its time.

Here’s an image of the recorder group performing in 2017

1 Like

Thanks for the photo. Now I’ll have to research them

When I had the opportunity to be in the MET I was obsessed by El Greco, so in all 3 days I found myself returning to the same handful of paintings and that is the pinpoint. Maybe it is the way that I focus and the personal choices. That is why ideally I like to return to the “monster” museums once at 5 years. I see (or remember now) a totally new content everytime. I’ve observed this with El Prado where I was 4 times in the span of the last 15 years, every time another painting sticks to my brain.
I hope a metaverse would cover the visual arts (museums) and maybe also music (concerts).

2 Likes

The Leclair & Locatelli: the Angel and the Devil Rare Fruits Council/Manfredo Kraemer recording you pointed to is simply brilliant. Kraemer’s performance is stunning and the other members of turn in excellent performances. Locatelli’s purely Italian pieces are electric and one can see why he was the Devil to Leclair’s Franco-Italian Angel. Both are under-appreciated 18th century violin virtuosi, as Andreas has pointed out. Paganini based his first Op. 1 No.1 caprice upon Locatelli’s Capriccio No. 7. I’m now on the hunt for Locatelli’s Capricci recordings, which are integrated into other compositions. If you or any of the others on this blog are aware of such, please forward.

Thank you for this wonderful recommendation.

I found Igor Ruhadze’s recording on Brilliant Classics.

3 Likes

This is what I can remember from the top of my head; the Caprices were attached to the violin concertos, so you’d generally look for them there… but here’s a recording of the detached Caprices…

2 Likes

Excellent. I was editing my note when you kindly provided this pointer. Thank you, Andreas.

This too… Carmignola is very good with this repertoire…

In addition to these albums, I find two relevant recordings by Luca Fanfoni on the Italian Dynamic label, but I haven’t yet listened to those.

2 Likes

Sorry to bother, but what label is this? Not showing up in Qobuz under “Giuliano Carmignola”.

This is on Sony Classical, and i see it available on both Tidal and Qobuz.

1 Like