Roon Nucleus Advantages

This is fully justified given the fact that the activated Turbo boost mode in the BIOS with a certain processor load leads to a sharp increase in the CPU frequency and, accordingly, a sharp increase in heat generation on the CPU crystal which requires a copper substrate with high thermal conductivity to remove the heat from a relatively small area of the CPU crystal. Such a copper substrate for contact with the CPU crystal is unfortunately absent both in the Nucleus and in the alternative fanless cases for the NUC. In the native NUC fan cases there is such a copper substrate that, together with the fan, provides the necessary rapid heat removal from the CPU crystal during a sharp increase in the CPU frequency. The absence of such a rapid heat dissipation can lead to short-term overheating of the CPU crystal which, if repeated many times, can lead to a fairly rapid degradation of the CPU. This is a warning to owners of NUC with fanless cases. In order to avoid troubles with the CPU I recommend that they turn off the Turbo boost mode in the BIOS. This is exactly what I did in my NUC although I use a massive copper substrate to quickly remove heat from the CPU crystal in my DIY fanless case. Turning off the Turbo boost mode provides a constant minimum frequency of the CPU required for the used DSP modes. The constant and minimum frequency of the CPU has a positive effect on the sound quality (this is my ten-year experience in computer audio), even considering the galvanic isolation that the ethernet connection between the computer with Roon Core and computer endpoint gives.