Roon Nucleus review in HiFi News

+1 for the Tesla Model X P100D… lucky owner of the 75D and it’s awesome but the P100D would be the dogs… more for the extra range than ludicrous mode though…

Ludi mode is really nice to have, though. :grinning:

1 Like

This said makes me wonder why I should buy a Nucleus, considering Tesla “the future” is not that realistic…:joy::joy:, on the other hand, I already own a Nucleus and it is a wonderfull machine, worth every penny…:+1::+1:. This Nucleus discussion is just a matter of do I want to spend the money or not, as with all your music (hifi) gear. My advice: buy it and enjoy it…:ok_hand::+1:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t buy a Tesla. It’s just plastic and steel and other stuff I could buy and put together. It isn’t like they add anything to it…

3 Likes

Hmmmm… That’s ironic, right? Lol

1 Like

I am with you on this one…:joy::joy:

Sorry. I’ll wrap my comments in “sarcasm /sarcasm” :slight_smile:

I’ve driven a Tesla for a while. Loved it. And the passionate comments here allude to the whole being more than the parts. They bring expertise. Roon - and Nucleus - is the same. Cars wise I like older Porsches - there is a racing pedigree that comes through. Guitar amps? Mine have valves. Tesla may be the future. And equally my cars are the past. But we all value the experience of the whole compared to the parts.

Roon is more than the sum of features. Nucleus is more than the sum of components. And Elon Musk is more than carbon, water…

2 Likes

I get that the Nucleus removes technical anxieties for the majority. However, it is not adding any ‘special sauce’ that improves sound quality. It can’t and I’ve seen a few comments already along those lines which is a bit disingenuous. I think the Nucleus should be examined on speed and ease of execution, noise level, reliability and looks.

I agree, and on that basis I would certainly buy a Nucleus if I had the spare cash. However, the financial controller in the family supported the alternative route of building a fanless NUC and using ROCK. :grinning: I may have ended up with a Skoda rather than a Tesla, but we’re still happy with the result.

4 Likes

I think forums are great places for people to get confused between opinion and fact. We all have opinions. Look at the software section and we are all of the opinion that we could build a better Roon than Roon. MQA? Another thorny issue of opinions. And these are OK. It’s when we think our opinion is fact and have to convert everyone to “the light” that it is less OK.

Nucleus? I don’t have one. Won’t buy one. I like tinkering and my fanless NUC. I can justify it on cost the same way that folks used to denigrate Apple. “I can build a better computer than your Mac from components for less money”. Sure. But people still. Bought Macs (me included) because the whole was more than the parts. And that doesn’t have to be down to measurable things like speed. Cars are the same in that regard.

1 Like

Oh I agree with you and I hope I’m not coming across as trying to ‘convert’ anyone. I just think people need to know that buying a Nucleus won’t improve their sound quality (unless, of course, they are using some hideously noisy laptop with a flaky power supply). To be clear, Roon Labs don’t claim this but I have read on these forums other people claiming that it has improved their sound quality and the fact that this HiFi News article talks about ‘sound quality’ is superfluous. So, I think it is important to be factually correct. There’s enough bullshit in the hifi world as it is and I’d like to think these Roon forums are one of the few places where grounded reality, along with musical enjoyment of course, can co-exist happily.

3 Likes

We need an upgraded test :grinning:

NUC vs Nucleus vs Sonore i5.

And we need Roon for Tesla as well :joy:
Which may happen when Roon turns into a cloud service…

At the moment the Sonore has an unique feature as it adds the possibility to us HQPlayer embedded in same HW.

I hope Roon also can add HQPlayer embedded to their ROCK
As well as the Roon extensions feature.

3 Likes

Hey, I’ve never thought you were trying to convert anyone. Sorry. Just a case of when I replied in the thread that it gives that impression :frowning:

Forums are funny places. Merc vs BMW. Canon vs Nikon. We are all right and everyone has to agree with us. The Roon forums are generally pretty polite. Sometimes we get topics that seem to be like Marmite.

Roon for Tesla would be fantastic. I’ve got a 128GB USB stick in my MX with a few hundred songs on it playing happily away. Perhaps I could turn it into a flash drive to run ROCK with local music files. Guess it would require Roon Remote on the central touchscreen though. Alas, I fear that it would need to be a stripped down graphical affair given the more limited CPU/GPU capabilities of the centre console. Seriously, Roon in TESLA would be great but, as R1200CL said, it’d have to be a cloud service aka. Spotify (which is already available on TESLA’s).

And I take that “review” with a large pinch of salt. I know I don’t have golden ears, but when I read reviews like that, my BS meter starts to quiver. But that’s me; each to his (or her) own…

1 Like

7 posts were split to a new topic: Does Nucleus require Ethernet?

Sure, my Nucleus does upsampling and convolution with a power factor of 20, I.e. it uses very, very little of the CPU.

DSD upsampling was possible but more demanding, but I never do that.

1 Like

I recently upgraded my internet connection to Gigabit, instead of the previous 100 Mbps. Very impressive improvement in SQ on Tidal, especially the airy harmonies of the French romantics come through with a lightness and clarity that totally surprised me, not the kind of analytical clarity of some digital systems but a soft, wispy clarity that bla bla bla…

/sarcasm

5 Likes

Thanks Anders,
My sights are now set on the nucleus from what everyone has said.